The University of Kansas Libraries
Care and Handling of Library Materials
All library users can help to extend the life of the University of Kansas Libraries’ collections by following these guidelines:
- Protect borrowed materials from rain, dampness, sun, and heat.
- Handle books carefully, especially when photocopying.
- Mark your place with a bookmark; do not bend corners of pages or use tape, Post-It notes, paperclips, or other objects.
- Take notes rather than using highlighters, underlining, or writing in the margins of the Libraries’ books and periodicals.
- Avoid eating snacks and drinking beverages while handling or working around library materials.
Please notify the library staff at any service desk if you discover a book that needs repair.
The KU Libraries has a program for repairing materials to make them available as long as possible. For more information, visit the Preservation Department web page.
The Northwestern University Library Preservation Department’s website provides a visual display about the Care of Library Materials.