The Asian Studies WWW Monitor: Mar 2008, 15, No. 3 (277)
Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL) Statistics Database
The Council on East Asian Library (CEAL) Statistics is an annual publication of statistical data of
East Asian libraries and museum collections (volumes held, volumes added gross,
current serials, other materials, electronic resources), expenditures (expenditures and grant support),
staffing, and services in North America.
CEAL annual statistics have been collected and published annually in Journal of East Asian Libraries (JEAL)
since late 1980s.
The online statistics database covers CEAL statistics from 1999 to present
with a parallel hard copy publication of CEAL statistics in the February issue of JEAL,
the CEAL official publication. Pre-1999 statistics data was added in 2007.
The database includes North America East Asian libraries and museums collection statistics
published from 1957 to current which contains statistical data from 1869 to current.
Quick Views, Simple Search, Advance Search in Table and Graph displays, PDF, Log-in Views
(collection ranking and peer comparison) have been added for easy access.
Collection data can be subdivided by region and funding type.
CEAL collection grand total can be viewed from 1957 to current in addition to collection median and average data.
The variety of statistical data collected is similar to that collected by
the Association of Research Libraries (ARL) and is included in
ARL's annual statistics (http://www.arl.org/stats/arlstat/index.html").
CEAL statistics focus on East Asian collections and especially Chinese, Japanese, and Korean languages
resources, staffing, and service to support East Asian studies in North America.
The database is searchable, with results viewable and printable in table (numbers) and graph formats. Member libraries (with password access) can view library rankings in categories of collection size, expenditures, and grant funding with filters of library type (public or private), and/or geographical region, etc. The database is also a directory of East Asian collections contact information, URLs of online catalogs, library system utilities, and more. The data series is the most comprehensive continuing library statistical dataset among area studies collections in North America. Statistical data published in PDF are available from the Committee's home page (http://www.lib.ku.edu/ceal/stat/).
The CEAL Statistics site has been created and maintained by the CEAL Statistics Committee located at the University of Kansas Libraries, Lawrence, KS since 1999.
* Login; * Quick View; * Table View (Basic); * Table View (Advance); * Graph View; * PDF;
* Participating Libraries (Alberta, Arizona, Arizona State, Art Inst. of Chicago, Binghamton, Brigham Young, British Columbia, Brown, California, Berkeley, California, Davis, California, Irvine, California, Los Angeles, California, Riverside, California, San Diego, California, Santa Barbara, Chicago, Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland Public Library, Colorado, Boulder, Columbia, Starr East Asian, Cornell, Dartmouth, Delaware, Duke, Emory University, Far Eastern Research Library, Florida, Georgetown, Harvard Doc. Ctr. on Contemp. Jpn, Harvard-Yenching Library, Hawaii, Illinois-Urbana, Indiana, Inst. for Adv. Studies of World Rel., Iowa, Japan Foundation Toronto, Kansas, Library of Congress, Manitoba, Maryland, McGill, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Montreal, Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, New York Public Library, North Carolina, Oberlin College, Ohio State, Penn State, Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh, Princeton, Queens Borough Public Library, Royal Ontario Museum, Rutgers, Smithsonian Inst. (Freer Gallery), Southern California, Stanford, Texas, Austin, Toronto, Virginia, Washington, Washington, St. Louis, Washington-Law, Wisconsin, Yale.);
* Library Information.
Internet Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.lib.ku.edu/ceal/
Link reported by: Vickie Doll/Chair, CEAL Statistics Committee (vdoll--at--ku.edu)
* Resource type [news - documents - study - corporate info. - online guide]: Study
* Publisher [academic - business - govt. - library/museum - NGO - other]: Library
* Scholarly usefulness [essential - v.useful - useful - interesting - marginal]: Essential
* External links to the resource [over 3,000 - under 3,000 - under 1,000 - under 300 - under 100 - under 30]: under 100
Updated in The Asian Studies WWW Monitor: Mar 2008, 15, No. 3 (277), 28 Mar 2008
As reported in : The Best of The Asian Studies WWW Monitor, May 2005
CEAL Statistics by Council on East Asian Libraries Statistics is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at lib.ku.edu.