The University of Kansas Libraries
Recalling Library Materials
Long-term-loan library materials, checked out for six weeks or longer, may be recalled immediately from any borrower.
A Recall Notice will immediately be sent to the borrower, and the item must be returned by the New Due Date specified in the notice in order to avoid a fine (or earlier if the library will be closed on the due date).
The due date previously assigned to the item is no longer valid. If the item is already overdue at the time it is recalled, the recall due date will be the original due date.
To place a recall request, go to the Library Catalog. Select the Full Record for the item wanted. If item is checked out to another borrower, it may be recalled by following these steps:
- Click Recalls & Requests.
- Enter your barcode, your last name, and click Login. KU students, faculty, and staff may also log in with their KU Online ID and Password.
- Highlight Recall from the dropdown, and click OK.
- Re-enter your personal barcode number to confirm your request.
- Select a Deliver To location from the pull-down menu.
- Click Submit Request. A message will confirm the recall has been placed.
- Logout to exit your library record.
The current borrower has 14 days to return a recalled item. When a recalled item is returned, it will be placed on the hold shelf at the designated pick-up location, and the requestor will be sent an Item Available Notice, usually via e-mail. The item will be held for 10 days from the date on the notice.
Pending Requests and Items Available may be reviewed by going to the Library Catalog. Click My Account and log in with your 8-digit barcode and last name. KU students, faculty, and staff may also log in with their KU Online ID and Password.