The University of Kansas Libraries
The Library Annex: Frequently Asked Questions
- The KU Library Annex is located on the University of Kansas, West Campus at 1880 Westbrooke St.. The Annex is south of Bob Billings Parkway between Kasold Drive and Crestline Road.
- The Library Annex is open Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Annex is a secure, locked facility. All visits must be arranged in advance.
- The facility has a reading room available for those who wish to consult long journal runs. Use of materials on-site requires advance arrangements in order to give staff time to retrieve needed materials. The facility lacks photocopy, fax and scanning equipment. Please contact the Library Annex at email@example.com to make special arrangements to view materials on-site.
- The initial building has a capacity of nearly 1.6 million volumes (books). The site plan provides for the expansion of 3 additional storage modules with a minimum total book storage capacity of approximately 6 million volumes.
- Most Library Annex materials may be requested for use at almost any of the KU Libraries. To borrow an item located in the Library Annex a patron submits a request through the KU Library Online Catalog using the Retrieve from Shelf. KU faculty, staff, and students may also request copies of articles from print journals that are in the Annex through KU Libraries WebRetrieve. Articles are typically available within three weekdays, Monday Friday.
- Library staff will retrieve materials from the Library Annex and place them on hold at the requestor's designated pick-up location (any of the Libraries' circulation desks), usually within 24 hours of the request, Monday through Friday. The requestor will receive an Item Available Notice, normally via e-mail, and the materials will be held for ten days from the day on the notice.
- Low-use material in any format or subject area may be considered for transfer to the Library Annex. In addition, old and fragile material, archival material and manuscripts and material with online counterparts may be considered for shelving in the Library Annex.
Who is selecting materials for transfer to the Annex and whom do I contact if I have questions about the selection process?
- The subject liaisons in the KU Libraries, working closely with the faculty, are responsible for transfer decisions. For further details on the selection process see Selection Guidelines. If you have specific questions, please contact Rich Ring (864-3425, firstname.lastname@example.org) our primary selector; or Lea Currie (864-8997, email@example.com), Head of Collection Development.
Annex Home | Services | Collections | Facility | Annex Request | FAQs