The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Diversity Committee's Minutes Archive
Diversity Committee Notes
4th Feb, ‘04
All Present: Erin, Heather, Chanette, Michelle, Rebecca, Pam, Julie
· Discussed Stella’s decision about the Diversity conference in Atlanta in May. 3 of us can go, ‘senior’ members Erin, Chanette and Julie have most availability to go.
· Erin talked to MaryAnne Resnick about a February Brown Bag discussing users with special needs, particularly the proposed technologies used by the libraries and computer labs. Ms. Resnick will bring a couple of students with real use experience who can inform us about the pros and cons of their usage. No set date yet, though likely to be either Feb 19, Feb 25 or Feb 26).
· We talked about different options for celebrating Women’s History month—particularly having a round table discussion in which ideas are thrown out OR a couple of articles can be sent to those who wish to participate and discussion can stem from there. (some ideas include women’s rights and whether they have progressed or regressed; are legal rights meant to be discriminatory?; body image; economic backgrounds; veiling-choice or oppression?; etc. Heather suggested that this round table discussion could be an ongoing thing, perhaps a series spread out over several months which would easily lead us into the next fall semester and even beyond. Any ideas for topics can be mailed to Heather.
· Follow up on past topics included diversity in music. Chanette will talk to Robert Roderiguez about Latin music and stereotypes (he presented a workshop a couple of years ago). Perhaps this could coincide with Hispanic History month, which we think is Oct. Chanette will also talk to Stever Rameirez about the sexual harassment workshop which was postponed last semester.
· We also talked about a few workshops and lectures coming up,
which include the Oral History Conference at KU (thanks to Michelle for
the link!) http://www.hallcenter.ku.edu/cgibin/cgiwrap/hallcntr/outreach/detailed.php?id=955
There will be a Native American workshop in April, also at KU. The lecture that had a occurred the night before (which as missed) about the stereotyping of Black women and Latinas was also mentioned (this was presented by one of the Black sororities).
· Heather said she would follow up on the Western Kansas/Garden
City conference on diversity. Discussion about Garden City in general
· It was mentioned that there are some good programs on PBS this month about Black History Month.
Please let me know if I missed anything or if the notes could be more clear or concise.