The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Diversity Committee's Minutes Archive
Diversity Committee Meeting Feb 7, 2008
Attendance: Michelle, Mary Ann, Xiufen and Erin
1. Did anyone attend the Diversity event in Kansas City on Feb 5? If so, would you be willing to either send out an email to the group or talk about what you found out at our next meeting? Let me know.
2. Michelle attended the first ISDC (IS Development Committee) meeting last week. The group is working on focusing on what their goals and purpose are. We are working on collecting notes from the OE Council and the IS Staff Development groups to move forward.
3. The topic for our February Div Com Challenge will be to tell someone you don't know very well what your job is all about and why you chose that type of job. We will choose the March topic at our next meeting. We also got the Div Com Challenge meantioned in the InfoMatters newsletter.
4. We are getting our listserv DIVERSITY-L setup. Michelle will send out more information when she has it.
5. Discussion on possible future events included the following ideas:
- Diversity video showing with discussion - Julie is looking for ideas, Michelle is looking for rooms to possibly do this during the Spring semester
- Guest speaker Tami Albin on her Oral History project - Julie is asking her if she would be interested
- Guest speaker on how to get along with others - Mary Ann knew of someone she had heard before, more information can be found at http://www.greenporchswing.com/
- Talk with Rebecca about having a section in InfoMatters that would highlight current staff members in addition to new staff.
- Guest speaker on Deaf culture and sign language
- Having a multicultural panel discussion involving staff from different backgrounds
- Religious panel similar to something done a few years ago
- discussion about what it takes to immigrate to the US for some people
- production of small videos by the Diversity Committee to show at events
- Utilize the Area studies librarians and staff