The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
KULSS Executive Meeting
Thursday, June 16, 2011, 10:00-11:30
Present: Jill Becker (Chair), Kristin Zachrel (Secretary), Julie Warrick (Group 2), Robert Szabo (Group 3)
Absent: Meredith Huff (Vice-Chair), Adam Reilly (Group 1)
Previous Meeting's Action Items
|DONE||Send out a final call for nominations to KULSS Exec.|
|DONE||Get bios from last election.|
Group 1 (Adam):
- Ade Martinez won the Support Staff of the Year Award.
- The Preservation department has been going on field trips to Kansas City and Manhattan, KS to visit other preservation facilities.
Group 2 (Julie):
- Caught up on all the shelving.
- Room 210 had another potluck.
Group 3 (Robert):
- Next Friday Robert will visit New Orleans Public Library for ALA to go through their uncataloged materials.
- A 13-person committee has formed from the various library branches to review student assistant competencies. They will review the basics of what students should know, what they should be trained in, and testing.
- Andrea Back has been hired as the Operations Manager in Art & Architecture.
- Julie loaned 21 trucks to Spencer for their remodel project.
- Meredith posted pictures on Facebook of the empty reading room in Spencer.
- Doing shifting and consolidation in Anschutz as well as weeding the Q's. They're also taking Current Periodicals off the cur per shelf and putting them on a separate 2-section shelving unit. They will be stored in slip cases instead of stored flat.
- Anschutz is searching for publications to display in the Government Documents exhibition in Watson.
- Anschutz is clearing space in room 320.
- Engineering is supposed to get their new computers, laptops, and furniture.
Support Staff Senate: Nothing to report.
University Committee on Libraries: Nothing to report.
Libraries Organizational Staff Development Committee (LOSDC):
- Facilitation training sessions were this week.
Management Council (next mtg: 8/17): Minutes from 6/16/11 meeting
- Dean Haricombe reported that the Consultant's report would be used as a foundational document for discussion at the Management Council retreat to develop new strategic directions for 2012-2015/16.
- The Dean is submitting a budget document to the Provost and requesting 10 faculty positions:
- Chief Technology Strategist
- E-Sciences Librarian (Engineering)
- Data Services Librarian
- 2 Digital Services Librarians
- Metadata Librarian
- Kansas Collection Curator
- Distance Education Librarian
- First Year Experience Initiative Librarian
- Head of Access Services
- The Dean is also asking for extra money for collections including new types of resources, current subscriptions, and facilities, such as the CDS, preservation, and Anschutz.
- The Celebration of Excellence will be October 14th to announce faculty and staff awards.
- The Huron Consultants met with the Dean to gather information about the libraries.
- There was a special session to discuss the purpose of Management Council and what they should be doing. The notes from this session are available for review: Management Council Special Session Notes.
Dean's KULSS Meeting (next mtg: ??): Haven't met.
Concerns to Bring up with the Dean:
- Julie received survey responses about the staff picnic. We could share the results with the Dean.
General Meeting Planning
- Jill will invite the Dean to the General Meeting ASAP and contact Sean to set up monthly meetings with her for next year.
- Jill reserved Watson 455.
- Send out an announcement soon to kulss-l noting date, time, & location of meeting (June 30th, 10:00, Wats 455).
- Introduce new Exec Board.
- Accomplishments for FY11:
- Updated KULSS Code
- Helped organize All Staff Picnic
- Revised responsibility of All Staff Picnic
- Restructured groups
- Got the ball rolling on the Watson break room improvements
- Staff Development Workshop
- Goals for FY12: Plan half-day staff development opportunity.
- Remind staff to keep us informed and advise of their concerns.
- Kristin will bake something to bring
- Coffee, tea, juice
- We can discuss these details further via email. Jill will send out an email on June 27th.
- Kristin will make a slideshow of photos & comments from the Staff Development workshop and create a list of accomplishments for FY11 by June 27th and send to group for approval.
- Jill will send out a save the date to kulss-l either today or tomorrow.
Action Items for Next Meeting
|Jill||ASAP||Invite Dean to General Meeting.|
|Jill||ASAP||Contact Sean to set up monthly meetings with the Dean.|
|Jill||June 17th||Send out save the date to kulss-l.|
|Jill||June 27th||Email Exec about food for the General Meeting.|
|Kristin||June 27th||Submit slideshow to Exec.|
(Items to be aware of for the future, not necessarily discussed in current meeting).
Next Meeting: July 28th, 10:00-11:30 at TBA.