The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
April 21, 2004
Murphy Hall, Music Library
Attending: Jeff McAdams (chair), Michael Rusche (vice-chair), Rebecca Claassen (group 1 rep), Kevin Fussell (group 2 rep), Denise Swartz (group 3 rep),
Absent: Laura Horne (secretary), Mary Ann Baker (group 4 rep), Angela Rathmel (CCPC chair)
Previous meeting minutes – The March 24th and April 7th minutes were approved. They will be mounted onto the CC website by the vice-chair.
Review of previous meeting’s action items –
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
Mike 04/21/04 Contact Watson A&B schedule about changing meeting time to early in the morning -- Mike changed the meeting time to 10:30am.
Mike and Jeff 04/21/04 Contact Dean about her presentation’s length for GM schedule-- The Dean’s presentation will be about 5 min. with time for Q&A. Doesn’t matter what order she goes.
Discussion of Meeting with the Dean (April 19th) – The notes sent out by the chair and vice-chair were discussed by the group. No changes were made.
Committee Reports –
TO: CLASSIFIED CONFERENCE EXECUTIVE BOARD
FROM: CLASSIFIED CONFERENCE PERSONNEL COMMITTEE
SUBJECT: UPDATE ON 2003-04 CHARGES
CC: BOB MARVIN, BRENDA OWENS, JANET REVENEW
The Personnel Committee shall be composed of no less than three and no more than seven members appointed by the Executive Board promptly following election of that board. This committee shall be concerned with personnel issues, including but not limited to: personnel policies, procedures for job description, position reclassification, working conditions and dissemination of information pertaining to salaries and other staff benefits.
ADDITIONAL STANDING CHARGES
1. Set up a mechanism to be alert to news stories related to Classified Staff welfare and disseminate the location of news to Classified staff in a timely manner.
ANN SNOW AGREED TO CONTINUE THIS TASK AS A SILENT MEMBER OF PC.
2. Check with the Library Administrative Office to compile a current list of library committees and governance structure and who is assigned to what. If possible also determine the purpose/responsibility, frequency of meetings and composition of committee. Provide list and information to CC membership and maintain accuracy with periodic updates. Keep website info current as well.
3. Compile and maintain a current list of CC members and administrative committees on which they are interested in serving.
RE: the former 2 charges, there is one document outlining CURRENT LIST OF COMMITTEES, THEIR STRUCTURE AND MEMBERSHIP (print only, not published online)
- CCEB requested addition of terms of appointment, TBD.
- Nothing in place re: frequency of meetings or purpose besides what exists on intranet committee webpages.
- Nothing re: interest in serving on administrative committees.
- Keeping the website current by referring to Mike Rusche.
1. Continue to explore the possibility of cross-training / rotation for assisting other departments/units in times of need.
SDC IS DOING MUCH IN THIS VEIN AS IS RETRIEVAL SERVICES. WE HAVE NOT ACTIVELY ADDED TO THAT EFFORT.
2. Follow up on the Classified Senate’s investigation on tuition assistance for internship hours.
HAVE NOT FOLLOWED UP.
3. Continue to develop departmental organizational schemes – who supervises whom; who, in general, does what, etc.
CREATED LIST PRIOR TO SANDY’S RESIGNATION OF ORGANIZATIONAL CHART. WAS LEFT FOR SANDY’S APPROVAL AND IS NOW NEEDING REVISIONS.
4. Look into the various time in/out rules of different departments around campus.
SPOKE WITH ATHLETICS WHO IMPLEMENTED FOR THEIR FACILITIES OPERATIONS (20 STATE UNIV, AND 5 UNIV EMPLOYEES). Reasons for implementing were based on nature of the work (not stationary) and there were discipline problems. No one was fired as a result of the new system and disciplinary problems were fixed. The system reads hand and does not automatically input into the payroll system. Received a strongly negative response from employees, but has been great benefit to organization.
5. CCEB may add charges as necessary.
WHO’s WHO 2004 is published
WATSON LOUNGE REFURBISHING will be investigated, formal proposal drawn up.
VENDING/CONCESSIONS issue will continue to be followed up. Mention of Sarah C.’s office area.
General Meeting Organization Details- Food, Introductions, etc. –
Classified Conference General Meeting (CC GM)
Thursday, April 29, 2004 (10:30 – 12:00) Watson A&B
Meeting Structure and Responsibilities
· Denise will procure all of the groceries (drinks, packaged food, tableware).
· Anyone else who desires could bring baked goods.
· The room arrangement will be tables in back, chairs in front.
o As many of us as possible will meet in A&B at 10:00am to start setting up.
Jeff will run the meeting and introduce everyone.
ü Introductions of CCEB (officers and reps) – The reps will introduce any new members to their groups. [These introductions should just have name and where they work and standing up]
ü Jeff will introduce Doug as the CEYA winner.
ü We will make a short statement, soliciting members for next year’s committees. We should focus on the opportunities that these committees give (such as a bigger picture of the library organization and understanding of library functions, as well as meeting people from different departments).
ü Jeff will then introduce the following speakers, in this order: Sharon, Stella, and Ola. They will give their respective presentations after each introduction.
That’s about it. Any questions or comments? please email all of the CCEB members, so we can discuss.
Supervisor Evaluation Forms Sub-group info – The executive board has decided to postpone this discussion of forming a sub-group until this summer when all members will be able to participate.
Group Reports – The chair read the Group 4 representative’s email discussing her contributions to the General Meeting and attempts to recruit people for next year’s positions and committees since she was unable to attend the meeting.
Next meeting’s action items:
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1.Mike 4/22/04 Send out invite to CC list for General Meeting
2.Mike 4/23/04 Ask Stella, Sharon and Ola if they need computer equipment for their presentations.
3.Jeff 4/22/04 Invite Gaele to General Meeting.
4.Jeff 4/22/04 Email CCEB about GM organization.
5.Denise 4/29/04 Get groceries (food, drinks, tableware) for GM.
Next meeting will be May 5th, 1:00-2:30, Watson A.
No agenda items yet for next meeting with Stella and Sharon.