The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
Classified Conference Executive Board (CCEB) meeting February 11, 2004
Present: Monica Claassen-Wilson (Group I representative & temp secretary), Kevin Fussell (Group II rep), Denise Swartz (Group III rep), Mike Rusche (vice-chairperson), Laura Horne (SDC rep)
Absent: Mary Ann Baker (Group IV rep), Jeff McAdams (chairperson)
SDC (Laura Horne reporting)
- SDC met with Stella Tuesday, Feb. 3 to clarify expectations for the committee. As a result, the SDC is planning to focus on coming up with core competencies in very general terms; however, due to the restrictions of the Classified system, it is virtually impossible to implement any core competencies at this time.
- The Dean’s position is that staff should be taking classes, and that supervisors need to be supported in supporting their staff.
- Sandy’s replacement (Sharon Bullard) will have the responsibility of tracking the classes that people take. It was noted by the CCEB that Human Resources and ACS already keep records of classes taken by staff.
- The SDC will be dividing into 2 groups:
- Group 1 will focus on tracks and plugging in the classes that already exist in order to have a broad structure in place by Fall 2004.
- Group 2 will work on structural issues related to databases, etc., that will be necessary for tracking the classes staff take.
- Once the new tracks have been implemented, SDC will working to assess the need to make classes more specific to library staff needs, with a focus on the basic skills needed by all library staff (Outlook, Word, etc.)
- SDC is continuing to focus on
- Getting information out about what classes are available
- Promoting the DuPage teleconferences
- Encouraging departments to hold open houses
CEYA (Mike reporting)
- CEYA is currently finishing up with interviews and each group is expected to have their reports on the interviews ready by the end of the month. The large group decision should be made by sometime in March.
Diversity Committee (Mike reporting)
- Julie Warrick, Chanette Kirby and Erin Kidwell have been selected to attend the National Diversity Conference for Libraries in Atlanta, GA, May 4-5. Upon returning, they will give a presentation.
- Coming up: Brown Bag lunch with 3 special guests, a rep from Students with Disabilities and 2 students with disabilities.
CCPC (Mike reporting)
- Currently working on the Who’s Who in the KU Libraries.
- Mike is working on getting CCPC’s committee listings posted to the web.
CC Group reports
Group III (Denise)
- Interviewing is currently going on for the LAII position in Access Services
Group II (Kevin)
- Kevin and Laura were asked by Mike to provide an update on progress in preparing materials for the BARD. Progress is still happening on the Recon of the Anschutz Deweys.
Group I (Monica)
- ILLiad is up and running, although there are still some bugs to be worked out. Judging by the high numbers of requests being submitted, patrons are excited about the new system.
- Interviewing will start the week of Feb. 23rd for the LAII position in Retrieval Services.
- The RS Development Task Force is meeting weekly to brainstorm mechanisms for encourage and enable staff to pursue professional development. They plan to have their proposals ready by the beginning of March.
Group IV (No report)
- Issue of the ongoing mess on the 5th floor of Watson was discussed. A group of male students continues to congregate in the area outside the administration offices and have had to be asked repeatedly to keep their noise down and to clean up their mess when they leave. Often there are newspapers thrown around.
Kevin suggested asking them what fraternity, if any, they are from, in order to contact the fraternity’s president about their conduct. He also suggested putting up a sign identifying the space as a quiet zone.
Denise mentioned that patrons have complained about the noise as well, and that staff have asked the group to quiet down and clean up after themselves.
- Mike presented the issue of requesting that a snack machine be installed in Watson, either on the 4th floor or in the staff lounge. CCEB decided to add this item to the agenda for the meeting with Stella.
- Monica reported that she attended the Senate Library Committee meeting Feb. 5. The focus of the meeting was the construction of the Books Records and Archives Deposit (BARD) and possible de-selection issues. Richard Fyffe, Susanne Clement, Stella Bentley and Kent Miller were all present to provide a progress report and answer questions.
Agenda items for next meeting with Stella
- News about progress on the BARD
- News about the Spahr Renovation
- How will the LITS changes affect staff members?
- Possibility of adding a snack machine to Watson Library (4th floor or staff lounge)
- Update on new Human Resources Librarian
The next CCEB meeting will be held Wednesday, Feb. 25 at Anschutz Library. Thanks to Denise for reserving conference room 322.
Submitted by Monica Claassen-Wilson