The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
July 27, 2004
Spencer Research Library, Johnson Room 1:00-2:30 PM
PRESENT: Becca Claassen (Grp 1), Kevin Fussell (Grp 2), Laura Horne (Vice
Chair), Angie Rathmel (Secretary), Mike Rusche (Chair), Denise Swartz
(Grp 3), Robert Szabo (Grp 4)
Approval of Minutes
Made corrections to spelling and re: Kristin Wilson’s resignation.
Previous Meeting Action Items
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1. CCEB Ongoing Recruit 3 SDC Members DONE: Nancy (2004-2006), Rita (2003-2005), and Tammy (2003-2005)
2. Mike Next Meeting Contact Lars RE: LFA co-charge for SDC : DONE: See SDC Charges REPORT
3. Laura Next Meeting Find out about 2nd scheduling of DC Panel Presentation. Not heard back, will email.
Staff Development Committee (SDC)
Will meet again 1st Thursday in August to bring new members up to speed and determine need for facilitator.
Diversity Committee (DC) N/A
Personnel Committee (PC) N/A
Brainstorming retreat resulted in 2 primary goals:
- gain more University-wide commitment to governance
- stay on top of the Alternative to Civil Service proposal
After attending the Retreat/Brainstorming with Classified Senate (which occurs for them every 2 years, according to length of Senate term), Mike thought that CCEB should schedule a similar retreat. The thought is, a half day brainstorming/information session, in which we would be facilitated by a member of the Human Resources. Could bring in some past CCEB members and the CC employees who serve on the various other committees around the library to hopefully provide a better sampling of what the Classified Conference members would like us to work on and accomplish, so that we can do things that will have a real impact on the employees. Out of this meeting, narrow down to a few specific goals to accomplish for 2004/2005, so that we may all feel, and hopefully to show our co-workers in the library, that we have accomplished something .
Stella has approved the use of our time to do this and has offered to provide food and drinks, she has also volunteered to email supervisors to make sure that everyone can attend.Mike is currently in communication with Human Resources, to try to find someone to facilitate our discussion and will be working with some folks in the admin office to set up a time and a location, probably an alcove in the Kansas Union.
CCEB agreed to go away with this info and think about our interest and others interest in this idea, the possibilities, who, when, where, what and how. Will make more planning decisions at next meeting.
IS-Wide Changes – How do they affect the CCEB?
Decided again to skip this topic as it might be a focus of the Retreat and may need IS people involved in the discussion. Will add to Stella/Sharon meeting agenda.
Ideas for Classified Conference from Constituents/Board
LIBRARY SUPPORT STAFF CONFERENCE
See attached power point presentation. CCEB agreed to read and prepare to discuss at next meeting.
It was agreed that we will get input from Sharon and Stella. It was also agreed that Personnel Committee could serve as Ad Hoc only. Discussed perhaps its creation before there was a Grievance Committee. See issues brought to PC Jan 04 re: Greivance committee and Sandy Gilliland’s input that PC should not be any type of Grievance committee.
Charges for Committees
Agreed to use recommendations for FY05 listed on the SDC Annual Report FY2004 as their charges and add the charge of evaluating issue of whether committee should stay governance or change to administrative since expansion to IS-wide. LFA does not want to have this added charge as they are firmly opposed to changing SDC to administrative.
Problem= adding IS to SDC when IS has no governance.
Problem=how do we stay Library specific when we expand IS wide?
Agreed to arrange a joint meeting with LFA.
LFA does not want PRC to add charge to evaluate itself based on Administration asid not add special charges to joint committees for FY04.
Agreed to arrange a joint meeting with LFA.
Group 1 (Retrieval Services)
Monica back fulltime Monday (Aug 2). Interviewing for LAII in ILL. Looking to reclass LAI position left vacant by Steve’s retiring.
Group 2 (Cataloging)
Chris Rathmel’s resignation is effective Friday (Jul 30).
Group 3 (Watson)
Student time-in/out system is half paid for. Scott Walter, Asst Dean has officially started. His office is in 320A Ansz, but is not a permanent office location for him.
Group 4 (Anschutz, Spencer, Spahr, Art&Arch, Music)
Interviewing for 2 LAII positions for Ans/Wat night circ supervisors begin this Friday. Ans open nights begins Aug 19th. Also doing a lot of student hiring and PeopleAdmin is really effective in that process (especially since Rita’s announcement that she will being entering Job Code to incl “Libraries General” for all positions).
Report from constituent that would like to see leavetime award maximum of 6.5 hr per payperiod be increased to 8. This has been on Classified Senates slate and was brought up again this year also.
Agenda Items for meeting with Stella and Sharon.
· What are your thoughts on a possible Q&A session for library employees on the topic of PeopleAdmin? It could be presented by a member of Human Resources.
· How will roles change with the hiring of Scott Walter as the new assistant dean?
· LA IV level – haven’t heard anything for awhile, is there any news?
· How will the changes in the Assessment Council alter its goals?
· How do you feel that the Classified Conference fits into the new IS-Wide values and mission?
· What have you heard about $$ and governor executive directive?
· Our Classified Conference Personnel Committee has been having problems with finding an identity. We have not been able to provide them with any concrete tasks. Do you have any ideas. Below is their standing charge:
The Classified Conference (CC) Personnel Committee is concerned with personnel issues, including but not limited to: personnel policies, procedures for job description, position reclassification, working conditions and dissemination of information pertaining to salaries and other staff benefits.
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1.CCEB Aug 10 meeting Think, bring ideas re: CCEB retreat
2. CCEB Aug 10 meeting Read LibStaff Conference power point to discuss possibility for KU
3. Mike Friday Jul 30 Set up joint meeting with LFA re: PRC and SDC
4. CCEB ongoing Review and use Email guidelines to discuss.
Library Support Staff Conference power point presentation by Susan Hinds