The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
June 30, 2004
Anschutz Conference Room 1:00-2:30 PM
PRESENT: Becca Claassen (Grp 1), Kevin Fussell (Grp 2), Laura Horne (Vice Chair), Angie Rathmel (Secretary), Denise Swartz (Grp 3), Robert Szabo (Grp 4)
ABSENT: Mike Rusche (Chair)
Introductions and overview for new members.
Approval of Minutes
Clarification that RS staff count will change to 28 total staff.
Angie had been checking into PeopleAdmin and how it will work -- looks like we will channel postings and hiring through Rita Wilson in the office. This seems to be moving slowly in implementation.
Talked about storing the KULSA Christmas decorations on the ramp. Kent encouraged Janet to ask Doug again regarding extra ramp space for KULSA items currently housed in staff lounge. He suggested we make a list of things that will make the staff lounge better to be able to get a financial picture based on our needs. PC has list of items formulated from responses gathered by CCEB Rep’s.
Cafe Watson will probably be in the area Kent and Sarah Couch currently occupy. Work will not begin till next summer as the Union is tied up with Wescoe Terrace work for now. Will be a lot like Cafe Anschutz is becoming. Staffing is by Union personnel. Basically coffee and snacks -- nothing odoriferous or messy. Kent noted Anschutz was getting new Café furniture to be ready for Fall 04. There is space designed into the building of Spahr for a potential Café, but Union will not support due to low traffic. Robert commented that Ansz has been trying to convince Union to keep Café until 6 or 7pm rather than 9-2. Current hours are in sync with Wescoe. He also mentioned that we must prove to the Union that the traffic is there in order to get the support.
Kent will know more about traffic pattern and design ideas for Café Watson when the space on 3rd and 4th floors are reconfigured for students. That reconfiguration will be pushed to Christmas Break and Union will be ready to talk again in Summer 2005.
PC would like to see the Watson staff room planning taken over by a subcommittee of either the CCEB or the personnel committee. Janet Revenew is very interested in continuing that work, as is Brenda Owens. Bob Marvin is not interested in serving on PC in the coming year. General feeling that PC charges need to be clearer. Currently it is observed that the charges are either a duplication of Administrative or Executive Board work. Mike looked into archives of former charges given to PC. Laura suggested looking only at last 10 years. However documentation is not as good for the past 10 years. CCEB will discuss what if any charges should continue to be given to what exists as Personnel Committee. CCEB will also discuss potentially asking Sharon and Stella what they think and/or making PC a non-standing/ad-hoc committee.
On July 7th, 2-3:30pm the DC will give presentation of their Atlanta trip and discuss the new ideas for internship and mentoring programs. SDC will provide refreshments. DC asks to RSVP as they expect to schedule another based on the amount of interest.
Staff Development Committee
Need to recruit 3 members for this committee. Becca Claassen has volunteered for 1. CCEB reps will pursue filling the other 2 vacancies.
Outcomes of 6/23/04 Meeting with Sharon/Stella
Thoughts about the CC website becoming a public site
From what Mike was able to discover, the CC website was always intended to become a public site, but hasn’t. Stella agrees that the Classified Conference website should be moved from the intranet to become a public site. She suggested that the CCEB chair confer with the LFA chair to see about this group having its site become public as well. If it is agreed, then the SDC website will become public too. Once this is done, CCEB officers will meet with Jill Glaser about this transition.
Discuss plans for a replacement of the Preservation Librarian
As of yet, there are no plans to replace this position. The library administration is waiting on the HVC2 about digital preservation before it considers hiring for this position. At that point, there will be a better sense of flows and needs for the position description. This report will be out in about 6 months. Stella did note that she felt that the Conservation Department was in good hands. There is the possibility for the Bindery/Marking department to be reorganized based on the findings. Nationally, there is a mixed trend for moving these away from Preservation.
How will the IS-Wide SDC be implemented?
The expansion wouldn’t be too large (possibly 3 added members) in order to keep the committee small enough to function. Funds would come from the university for items that are for all IS staff. The funds coming to SDC currently from the library administration would continue to come, but would be used for library-specific needs. Basically, an expanded SDC would look at over-riding issues that affect all of IS staff.
The CCEB chair asked the Dean if there would be a need for CCEB and LFA to try to change their codes to accommodate this suggested change. The Dean suggested that these two groups give SDC a special charge about the decision to stay a governance committee or become an administrative committee. This way, if the committee stays a governance committee, the necessary changes to the codes could be suggested.
Thoughts on the HVC2 workshop?
The overall consensus seemed to be that the meeting lasted too long and too dense. There were not enough questions asked as a result. It is hoped that during the June 24th meeting that there will be more questions and perhaps a little more liveliness.
Thoughts on the Information Services Town Hall Meetings?
There was general agreement that there were as many questions asked at the Watson located meeting as was expected. The Dean suggested that CCEB have a meeting where the executive board can give suggestions for how the libraries can present IS values to library staff. CCEB may want to contact SDC for suggestions.
Proposed new meeting time of Wednesdays 2-3:30
Laura has a conflict Wednesday until 1:30. All were in agreement regarding this time and to continue alternating locations with Watson. Denise will look into the room schedules and Laura will ask Mike about his schedule.
Input from Reps re: topics to work on for year/brainstorm
Laura will ask Mike to send out another email for input from staff. We did little brainstorming.
Group 1 (Retrieval Services)
Steve Shartran (LAI) will be retiring effective Aug. 2nd. Michelle Abbott (LAII) is getting married this summer.
Group 2 (Cataloging)
Accomplishment Party for end of FY04 for student and staff.
Group 3 (Watson)
Nothing to report.
Group 4 (Anschutz, Spencer, Spahr, Art&Arch, Music)
Both evening Wat-Ans circ supervisors’ positions will become vacant with Stephanie Warlick (LAI) leaving end of June and Jenny Heikkila (LAII) leaving end of July.
Robert also mentioned the wireless changes from static IP’s to dynamic. People are now able to bring their own laptops in to use the network. This means existing laptops are auto-logged in and in order to print, users must log out from the auto-user and login as themselves.
Ansz used to have all-staff meetings every other Friday. This no longer happens with the combined circ-ref of Wat-Ans.
Agenda Items for meeting with Stella and Sharon.
Ask about potential Q&A session regarding PeopleAdmin (similar to what Stella gave all-staff).
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1. CCEB Next mtg Brainstorm and research (last 10 yrs) PC and its future role. Come up with questions for Stella and Sharon re: this.
2. CCEB reps Ongoing Recruit 2 SDC positions
3. Laura Friday 7/2/04 Contact Erin re: a formal # of members needing to add to DC. (Reps to then recruit)
4. Mike Next Mtg Contact Lars re: LFA as a public site
5. Mike Friday 7/2/04 Email staff re: issues/charges for CCEB
6. Denise Next Mtg Look into room avail for proposed mtg time change