The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
May 19tht, 2004
Murphy Art & Architecture Library Room 104
Attending: Jeff McAdams (chair), Michael Rusche (vice-chair), Angela Rathmel (CCPC chair), Rebecca Claassen (group 1 rep), Kevin Fussell (group 2 rep), Denise Swartz (group 3 rep), Mary Ann Baker (group 4 rep)
Absent: Laura Horne (Secretary)
Previous meeting minutes – A few slight changes were made to the May 5th minutes and to the April 29th General Meeting minutes. The minutes were approved with the changes.
Review of previous meeting’s action items – All action items that were due were completed. Action items remaining include Prepare ballots for the election and return ballots to Laura. Mary Ann volunteered to run for Group IV representative again, barring someone else stepping forward.
Committee Reports –
CCPC (Angie) - No new news to report. The CCPC is close to completing its objectives for 2003/2004.
Classified Senate (All) - The 3% pay increase will go into effect for classified staff beginning on July 1, 2004.
University Committee on Libraries (Mary Ann)- The UCL has finished its final report and it has been given out.
Report from the Sharon/Stella Meeting -
Ask Sharon, as our HR liaison, to follow-up with Ola about how we learn about changes to the KU Classified Staff Handbook. Possibly mention the idea that even if that kind of information is not possible to disseminate campus-wide, that she, Sharon, could let us know via the listservs, either KULib or KULCC.
It was said during the Sharon/Stella meeting that there is no mechanism to handle this process.
The CCEB will bring this up with Sharon again to discuss the idea of talking with Ola, because Ola did seem interested in the idea during the general meeting.
Some of us have been wondering about the recent Spahr Classified position opening and how that was filled. Other folks might have been interested in applying but were not given the opportunity. Does the way this opening was handled signify a change in how openings may be filled? Should those of us interested in changing jobs or being promoted make sure to let the library administration / Sharon know of our interest in doing so? (Also, will there be a vacant position in Anschutz now?)
With all the changes that have been happening and with all the future changes there is the possibility that people may be transferred somewhere that there skill sets would work out. It is easier for the administration to transfer someone that to hire a new employee. Stella said that this does not signify a change in how openings will be filled, but that if we are interested in working in a different location or having different job duties it is always useful to share this information with the administration. The empty Classified position will appear somewhere in the libraries at some point, but it is still unknown where it will be needed.
The latest FYI Personnel Announcements "Appointments & Reassignments" don't mention whether folks are Classified or not, nor what their classifications are. For those of us who need to keep track for listservs, CC group lists, etc., this creates some extra work as we try to figure out this information.
Sharon apologized for this, she did not realize that we listed the classifications in the FYI and said that in the future she will be sure to do this.
What information can you provide about the new People Admin software that will be implemented soon? How does the library plan to deal with this?
There will be 2 sessions on Friday, May 21st in the CIC lab to cover with the Student Hiring people how to deal with the changes. Most of the changes only affect the administration, because it replaces a lot of the paper work that they do upstairs. Hiring of Classified employees will remain the same for the people responsible for the hiring.
Report from LFA GM –
These are the notes from Jeff McAdams:
New member introduction:
o Lynn Koenig (Reference)
o Sharon Bullard (HR Librarian)
o Rhonda Houser has received permanent status.
Committees (all gave a report of activity)
o Code and By-laws
o Research and Scholarly Activities
o Library Committee on Promotion and Tenure
o Nominating and Ballot Committee
o Planning and Resource Committee
o Salaries and Benefits
o Staff Development Committee
o Mentoring Committee
o Exec. Committee (mentioned that all reports from committees are due before June 30.)
o Non-library committees
o PRC for University (George Gibbs)
o Faculty Rights and Privileges (Lea Currie)
o Academic Computing and Telecommunications (Becky Shulte)
Stella (Reported on the budget)
o Mainly talked about salary percentages and future increases or not.
o All salary increases must be based on merit only.
Discussions for the group
o Mostly talked about committee structures and if they still make sense.
o Some talk about lack of LIIIs and effort required to become thus.
Matrix Reporting Structure -
The list of persons affected and their new supervisors was sent to kulib-l. There are some Classified employees affected by this.
Student Employee Wage Bonus -
It was said that this 30% pay increase is a great idea, but would have lured more student assistants if it had been announced earlier. Jeff and Mike will bring this thought to Stella during the next meeting with the Dean.
It was decided that we do need to create separate ballots for each group in order to prevent confusion within the constituency. The ballots will be sent to the constituents on Friday, May 21st.
Group Reports –
Group 1 (Rebecca) - Nothing new to report.
Group 2 (Kevin) – Brenda Owens will be joining the Cataloging department in June or July. Matt Grafel has returned from military leave. Tahirih Mullen, who has been away from the libraries has returned, is filling the position that was vacated by Kye Baxter.
Group 3 (Denise) – Terri Gottstein has taken over what used to be Angel’s position in the Bindery Prep Unit.
Group 4 (Mary Ann) – There are concerns about the new reporting lines for computer maintenance (KU’s LAN Support Services instead of the libraries LITS folks). Staff are urged to document problems.
The James Seaver opera sound collection and the Dick Wright jazz collection are again coming under the auspices of the KU Libraries and specifically the M&D Library. We don't know how this will impact service but discussion is underway with the 2 deans (Stella and Steve Hedden).
Work is proceeding on the “Peers & Tiers” program in Anschutz. By June 8th, 2nd tier folks (includes Classified staff) will be sitting behind the modified circulation desk with the KU Info students. During the summer, training is being provided to the 1st tier student assistants so they will be helpful come fall semester. The Anschutz coffee bar will be closed for the summer. The Anschutz cash-to-card machine has arrived and awaits unpacking.
Electrical work is being done between Spencer and Strong.
Next meeting’s action items:
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1.Mike ? Put Committee listing on the Website
2.Laura 5/21/04 Make ballot for elections.
3.Reps 6/4/04 Return all ballots to Laura
Agenda Items for Stella and Sharon meeting (May 17th)
Will again bring up the issue of the Classified Staff Handbook. Also we will discuss thoughts on the Student Wage Bonus.
Next meeting will be June 2nd, 1:00-2:30, Watson Library Conference Room