The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
Thursday, October 20, 2005
Watson Conference Room B – 10-11:30 am
PRESENT: Monica Claassen-Wilson (FY06 Chair), Rebecca Claassen (FY06 Vice-Chair), Jill Becker (Group 3), Denise Swartz (Group 1), Robert Szabo (Group 4), Kevin Fussell (Group 2), Mary Ann Baker
ABSENT: Angie Rathmel (Secretary)
Previous meeting’s minutes approved. Monica will post minutes.
Review of previous meeting’s action items.
1. Denise made changes to the Code and Guidelines. KULSS-Exec needs to approve changes.
Support Staff Senate
Mary Ann addressed the Merit Pay Position Paper saying that most of the points have already been taken care of and it might not be worth it to forward to Senate. She said we should instead focus on library administration for points instead of submitting to Senate because the paper is dated. We need to clarify point #6 about committee involvement. Monica asked that she submit the Position Paper anyway so that it will be recorded.
HREO - Mary Ann read minutes from the Senate meeting (can be found on web).
Compressing jobs into job bands. Longevity will stay in a lump sum.
There have been talks about getting rid of stop day (supported by very few people). Also, discussing cutting the time frame from 3 periods to drop classes, to 2 periods.
The Unclassified Senate is interested in family tuition assistance. USS Senate is planning to talk with Unclassified Senate about this to find out if they will support it.
We will still be participating in the State classified group, Kansas Council, because our benefits and retirement are still tied up in that.
University Committee on Libraries – Mary Ann is the elected representative and will give up the position if somebody else wants it because she has been appointed to the UCL as the USS rep.
Mary Ann gave 2 articles about libraries from the Chronicle of Higher Education handed out at the UCL meeting by Stella to the KULSS-Exec members to read.
Orientation process update
Judith and Monica are going to meet with Donna about suggestions. Will ask Donna if SDC will come back and come up with a framework for orientation and how responsibilities can be delegated.
Code and Guidelines changes
KULSS-Exec will vote on code and guidelines changes in the next meeting. Members will review the changes in the meantime.
Suggestions of names for Dean search committee
Judith will wait to suggest names until Denise asks for suggestions. Monica will email our suggestions to Denise. Current list: Kurt Blythe, Robet Szabo, Monica Claasen-Wilson, Nancy Hawkins.
CEYA Guidelines/Selection Committee Info.
Name needs to be changed. We need to find somebody to be the CCPC chair because there isn’t one. KULSS-Exec will think about people we want to invite to be on the selection committee. Monica said it would be a good idea to publicize this. Everybody will review the CEYA info on the website and bring comments and suggestions to the next meeting.
Agenda items for meeting with Stella and Donna
Communication issues and student/staff morale.
Group 1: N/A
Group 2: N/A
Group 3: Campus mail is moving from Strong Hall to Watson. The Reserve collection has been moved to behind the main service desk. The Returns/Reserve area will be torn down on 10/21/05. There was an open meeting for student employees to discuss the changes to their job duties. There were many concerns among students about problems they foresee with the new work flow. There was a general feeling that they have been left out of all discussions and decisions concerning the work they do everyday.
Group 4: Robert requested to meet at the Music Library next time and would like the group to consider rescheduling meetings in branch libraries if they are cancelled due to weather.
The next KULSS-Exec meeting will be on 11/3/05 from 10-11:30 in the Music and Dance Library.