The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
KU Library Support Staff (KULSS) Exec
Thursday, Apr 20th, 2006
WATSON Conf Rm A/B– 10am-11:30am
PRESENT: Rebecca Claassen (FY06 Vice-Chair), Angie Rathmel (Secretary), Jill Becker (Group 3), Kevin Fussell (Group 2), Denise Swartz (Group 1), Robert Szabo (Group 4); Michelle Curtwright (Diversity Committee); Donna Brewer (HR Officer)
ABSENT: Monica Claassen-Wilson (FY06 Chair)
Approval of Apr. 6th Meeting Minutes DONE
Approval of Apr. 6th Meeting Action Items
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1. Denise: Next meeting - Ask Donna when announcement of Barbara Gorman’s retirement and plans for reception. DONE (Unable to comment yet due to pending decisions)
2. Angie: Today - Draft email for SSEYA deadline announcement. DONE
3. Becca: Upon above - Send out announcement for SSEYA award deadline. DONE
4. Kevin: Next meeting - Buy a card for Stella for us to sign next meeting. DONE
5. Jill: Next Meeting - Send Allison Lopez announcement of “Dewey Decimators” softball team to InfoMatters (with schedule and pictures)? DONE
6. Becca: Next meeting - Ask committees to consider submitting their reports to InfoMatters as well as to KULSS DONE
7. Angie: Next meeting - Ask Diversity Committee to send a summary of their film event. DONE
8. Angie: Noon today - Email kulcc-l Q&A for Dean Candidates #2 and #3 DONE (Also emailed re: #4 and #5)
9. Robert: Next Friday - Email Donna and invite to next meeting in Watson. DONE
Drafting up goals for 2006 and will update website. Still pursuing the mentoring/internship which are in limbo until a new Dean is appointed. Looking for someone who is willing to be a backup person to help with the website. Hoping to get an event calendar and also a poll/survey added to the website.
Will continue both the Reading and Movie series in the coming year (though no topics yet). Will be working on networking with other groups that are well-established. Considering IS wide options.
Planning and Resources Committee (PRC)
Done for the year.
Support Staff Senate (from Mary Ann Baker)
See attached. Will not be able to meet in person with us due to conflict. Will send email updates.
Special Guest: Donna Brewer
- Update/progress on SSEYA : 2 nominations so far. Will send another reminder this week in the wake of successful IS Awards. Selection Committee will be contacted Monday.
- KULSS correspondence with Allison Lopez re: InfoMatters and what can we do to effect/improve library communication.
- Will talk also with Denise Stephens regarding some of these issues in her meeting with her this afternoon.
- May 9th-end June Angie will be gone for daughter’s heart surgery. No secretary for KULSS-Exec for this time (incl the Spring General Meeting)
- IS Award Winners: Monica Claassen Wilson and Susanne Clement got the “Analyzer Award”, Carol Jeffries got the “Leader Award” Rita Wilson got “Day Brightener Award”, Barb Gorman rec’d the “Steady Contributor Award”
- Mary Roach and Kent Miller assigned as co-deans.
- Book drops installed across campus.
- Considering putting stickers on items that are to be not intended for book drop return.
- Nishon Hawkins won the IS “Up and Comer” award.
- Dean Search Committee Update:
Submitted recommendations to Denise as of Wednesday Apr 19th. Assume she has already contacted the candidate for acceptance. No date yet given for making an announcement.
Action Items for next meeting:
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
Denise: Schedule next meeting in Music or Spencer.
All: Next meeting - General Meeting planning
All: Next Meeting - Elections
Denise: Ask Shannon re: funds for General Meeting.
Angie: Monday - Request dictation/recording device from Special Office Supply.
Our next meeting will be May 4, location TBA.
Support Staff newsletter
Staff Development Ideas (KCMO courses/certificate program, ALA itineraries)