The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
Thursday, June 1, 2006
Spencer Research Library, Johnson Room – 10-11:30am
Review previous meeting’s minutes
(The group approved May 4 and May 18 minutes as written by Monica, and agreed to allow them to be posted to the web.)
Review previous meeting’s action items
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1. Kevin: Early next week - Send out ballots to group reps - DONE
2. Group reps: Upon above - Send out ballots to groups - DONE
3. Monica: Next meeting - Contact Donna re: SSEYA and SDC progress – see SSEYA below
4. Monica: Next meeting - Compile brainstorm lists - DONE
Diversity Committee (Currently meeting)
Support Staff Senate (no business to report)
Kevin and Denise will count ballots on Monday, June 12.
Staff Development Workshop planning (see attachment)
Next step: whittling down the list. The group scored items on the list by categories (workshop topic,
topic to cover in another format, topic to throw out). Monica will count and compile the categories.
Goal/Objective: To help staff feel more valued; that they feel better about themselves/jobs than they did before they came to the workshop.
Suggestion: Send a survey card to get a sense about shere people are, why they are here
SSEYA, General Meeting planning, softball
SSEYA: Monica spoke with Donna, who has not yet contacted members of the selection committee, and she promised to move it to the top of her priority list and contact members to set up a meeting. If this does not occur, Monica will email Kent and Mary and cc: Donna.
General meeting: the group decided to postpone the general meeting until the fall after Loraine has arrived. We hope that the SSEYA winner will have been announced so we can include that in our agenda.
·Welcome the new dean
·Welcome new staff
·Welcome new officers
In the meantime:
·We will ask Shannon to send an email with information about the merit increases.
·Invite new staff to a regulary KULSS Exec meeting to see who we are, what we do (Include this in orientation)
·Send an email announcement about the election results.
Matt Grafel’s position in Cataloging will be turned into a Lib Asst I
We have begun moving overflow items into the newly created space on 2E.
Staff are attending a retreat for library service desk staff
Emerson has left. Student supervisors will cover until a new person is hired. The job has been posted.
Amy’s position (formerly a temp position) has been posted.
Also attend the retreat.
Brian Rosenblum has moved to Anschutz.
In Anschutz, we are getting ready for summer projects, such as condensing current periodicals to expand math/science and rearranging the are behind the 3rd floor service desk.
Meeting with New Dean in the fall
It was suggested that we put together a packet of our ideas for staff development, specifically focused on LIBRARY staff development, with the idea that the IS-wide group may not meet all of our needs. We want to show that we are proactive and have the energy to follow through on the ideas we bring forth.
Topic for discussion next year (add to parking lot):
Figure out how to handle recording minutes when the secretary is absent. Monica has taken minutes for the past few meetings, but would prefer not to have the duties of Chair, Webmaster and Secretary at the same time.
Action Items for next meeting:
WHO? BY WHEN? WHAT?
1. Monica: End of next - week Email Mary and Kent
2. Monica: Next meeting - Compile tick marks on the brainstorm list
Support Staff newsletter
Staff Development Ideas