The University of Kansas Libraries
KU Libraries Support Staff
Home · Code · Guidelines · Membership · Minutes · Committees · SSEYA · Links
KULSS- Exec Meeting
January 8, 2009; 10am-11am
Present: Sarah Thomas, Sheila Orth, Adam Reilly, Kyle Sederstrom
Absent: Meredith Huff, Julie Warrick,
PREVIOUS MEETING’S ACTION ITEMS
Talk to Anne Hayden, new ISDC rep
KULSA incorporation/Holiday party update
Email OCDA Summary to all (11/11 Hold for Mike’s rpt)
Update SSEYA procedure
Note: all Conf 09 related moved to Planning Mtg agendas
Will review minutes next time.
No updates on action items.
Re: Mike's small group report on supervisory forum topics. We didn't get into this much, we will move it to next mtg's agenda. He would like not only to narrow down topics, but ideas for formats for the meetings.
Group 1 -NA
Group 2 - Alison Lansing started in the ARM (Annex Records Management) unit on Dec. 15th as serials inventory staff. Also starting Dec. 15th was Sonja Holmgren as a map cataloger in the Complex Cataloging Unit. Alena Vorushilova's last day was Dec. 23rd, she has accepted an internship in her field with a major insurance company. Updates to Group 2 membership needed: Remove Alena and possibly Brad Engelbert because he is now the Complex Cataloging supervisor and no longer support staff. Add Sonja Holmgren, Alison Lansing, Joy Mapes, and Adrienne Martinez.
Group 3 - NA.
Group 4 - Over the break many projects and some shifting has occurred in Anschutz, along with plenty of maintenance to the building itself.
Dean's Council 12/19/08
Get your Directory pic taken, see Courtney or Shaun Still working on Vision Statement HR will send email to remind all USS evals are due 1/31. Dean has not issued statement re: eval score=merit score for USS (already issued for UCP/fac) pending something from KU HR re USS/UCP Evals
Mngmnt Council 12/17/08
Service Quality discussion – internal customers
Time Management work group (for DC)
Tracking our own time for discussion, looking at resources for all
Library Teaching Policy workgroup (for DC) Creating policy to address coverage, informing all, reimbursement, evals
D R A F T
USS Executive Council
December 3, 2008
Members Present: Dennis Constance, Chris Wallace, Kathy Stiers, Sharon Lee Green, Mary Ann Baker, Jay Bernard, Teri Chambers, Diana Koslowsky, Delores Leonard, Cindy Nitcher, Peggy Robinson, Cayla Witty
Excused: Betty Childers, Charlotte Goodman
Minutes: Chris Wallace moved to approve the amended November 5, 2008 minutes, and Sharon Lee Green seconded the motion. The amended minutes were approved.
Treasurer’s Report: Sharon Lee Green will have an update on the treasury next week at the full Senate meeting. The current balance of $2,309.67 was reported last month.
President’s Report: Dennis had asked if anyone knew about the increase that 185 employees may be receiving. The Union employees will not receive this increase.
The following is the email sent out by Ola Faucher to Personnel Related Staff:
Starting salaries for identified job titles will also be raised to the state-determined minimum. Departments will be expected to provide funding when any vacant positions are filled at the higher minimum rate. Please find attached a listing of the affected USS job titles, noting the old minimum and new minimum hourly wage. A separate email will be sent today to departments that have USS staff impacted by this change. Individuals receiving pay increases will receive notification letters from HR/EO before the January 9 payday.
Approximately 200 other USS skill craft, service and maintenance positions were also identified as eligible for a market salary adjustment. However, due to the existing negotiations of the university’s Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with labor union Local 1290PE, such increases will not be enacted upon until the new MOA is negotiated and ratified.
Please feel free to contact HR/EO with any questions. Thanks. Ola
There is some jeopardy in the state funding for the new pay plan.
Dennis will be meeting with the Provost a week prior to Christmas to discuss any pertinent issues. Some issues do overlap the USS Workgroup issues. Dennis has been working with an employee on an appeal. He stated this showed him the reason why it would benefit support staff to have an advocate. There are so many steps in the process, it does take quite some time to assist individuals, and having a full-time staff person would assist in this.
Facilities Operations has been directed to let their employees know about the inclement weather policy. Most FO employees are considered essential employees, and if they do not have a valid reason for missing work when the weather is bad, it will be considered unexcused.
It was brought up again about voluntary leave without pay, in order to assist others to keep their jobs. If an individual could go without pay for a short period, then this may add funding to others who may need it more.
Dennis spoke about the Athletic Corporation going to Senates to ask about handling the football tickets the same as the basketball tickets, and having a Committee to coordinate this. In the last 3 years the demand for football tickets has increased. In a capacity stadium of 48,000, this year they had 39,000, the previous year was 31,000 and the one before that was 27,000. Season tickets are costing $240.00, and those with season tickets receive priority for the MU game. Dennis would like to have a couple of volunteers to be on this committee representing USS. Kathy Reed is not on the Senate anymore, but she could still be on the committee. Her role would be more for the governance office. Chris Wallace volunteered, unless all that is needed is Kathy Reed.
Personnel Committee: Diana Koslowsky reported that Ola Faucher did send out a revised lactation policy, and she did look at another university policy on this issue. Teri Chambers said that she would like to discuss this with the Personnel Committee before bringing it up to the whole Senate. There were a couple of points that needed some discussion.
Communications Committee: Delores Leonard stated a holiday card will be sent out to all university support staff employees. She will bring the card to the full Senate next week, so that everyone can sign it. There will be a newsletter mailed out in January. Dennis will locate and send the pictures of the whirlwind tour to Kathy Stiers. She will place them on the USS Senate web site, and people can pick out the pictures, they would like to see in the newsletter.
Legislative Committee: Jay Barnard has repeatedly tried to touch base with Kathy Damron to figure out how to approach the Legislature. He wanted to receive a schedule from Kathy to set up a time to speak with her. He has not had a response to date from her. If he does not hear from her by the end of this week, Dennis will try to reach her.
Elections Committee: There are still 3 openings on the Senate, and Chris is trying to contact one individual to find out if they are interested in being on the Senate or not.
Mary Ann Baker discussed the issue for formalizing each Committee’s charges. Dennis will be sending out an email to Committee Chairs to receive feedback on any changes. Then the whole Senate can vote on it next week.
Dennis said there is not a finalized version of the position paper for FY 2010.
SASM: Dennis and Mary Ann will be meeting with the Social Welfare Department at 2:00 p.m. on 12/10/08 to discuss their being another department to use the supervisory evaluation form. Nothing will be done until Spring semester.
Respectfully submitted: Kathy Stiers, Secretary
D R A F T
University Support Staff Full Senate
December 10, 2008
Present: Delores Leonard, Jeannie Doering, Cindy Nitcher, Lea Chaffin, Diana Koswolsky, Samantha Reinblatt, Terri Chambers, Jay Barnard, Mary Ann Baker, Chris Wallace, Dennis Constance, Sharon Lee Green, Ken Sarber, Linda Gerdes, Doug Carter, Charlotte Goodman
Excused: Kathy Stiers, Pat Argueta, Kathy Chaney, Betty Childers, Jenna Coker, Cynthia Davis, Cayla Witty
Greetings: The Senate welcomed a new senator, Lea Chaffin.
Minutes: Correction to the November minutes. Staffing information: "UPS" has been changed to "USS" to correctly identify "University Support Staff". It was noted that the number of USS has decreased, while the number for Unclassified Staff has increased. It is unclear why this is so.
Treasurer's Report: The beginning balance is $2,309.67, and the expenses include $10.00 for toll fees, and $157.92 for the vehicle rental for the Kansas Council of Classified and Support Staff Presidents meeting held on 10/30/08. This leaves remaining balance of $2,141.75. An upcoming expense include the OIRP – Supervisor’s survey.
President's Report: There are no more provost meetings until January 29th, 2009. Football and basketball ticket sales have increased. Some faculty and staff were displaced from their usual seats because of this. USS is encouraged to become involved in the ticket allocation process.
The Presidents of the Kansas Council formulated a position paper during their meeting on October 30th, 2008. However, due to recent State budget problems, a conference call with the Presidents is planned for December 11th to make minor changes to the position paper.
Dennis and Jay Barnard attended an Unclassified Senate sponsored meeting with State Representative Kevin Yoder on December 9th, 2008. Kevin is a former KU law student who is on the appropriations committee in the Legislature. He offered many ideas for how to lobby more effectively. Biggest talking point: "The Universities are the seed crop of Kansas". Education is the #2 priority for the State, Health Care remains #1. State budget is looking bad. We were 1 billion dollars in the black, now we are 1 billion dollars in the red. Do not expect a pay increase this year. There is a real urban/rural split in Kansas that is reflected in the Legislature. Extensive discussion ensued about efforts, joint efforts with Unclassified Senate to lobby Topeka. Paid lobbyists get the most attention. Kathy Damron is the paid lobbyist for KU.
Noted that Chancellor Hemingway is retiring. It is unclear what impact this will have on KU, State budget, USS, etc.
USS Work Group Report: Linda Fund is leaving. Discussed lay-off procedures. Doug Carter talked about the chart of new pay rates for certain personnel.
Personnel Report: Ola Faucher met with Doug Riatt and Roger Morgan at Facilities and Operations to discuss attendance policies in that unit.
A disiplinary action board meeting is tentatively planned for January 2009.
Legislative Affairs Report: A meeting is planned with Kathy Damron, paid KU lobbyist, on December 15th, 2008.
Communications Report: A newsletter is planned for the first part of January 2009.
Submitted by Mary Ann Baker.
University Senate (US) (13 Nov) and Executive Committee (SenEx) (18 Nov) meetings:
The standing reports for the Senates' presidents were about the same for both meetings:
Mary Berry, US President:
SenEx is reviewing reports from US committees. She and Nancy Kinnersley, President of the Faculty Senate, have been spending a lot of time with the "invention agreement" sent out by Steven Warren. Since some faculty members have strong concerns, the university administration has agreed to modify the document. This is still in the works.
Nancy Kinnersley, President of the Faculty Senate (FS):
The FS has been working on a policy of granting posthumous degrees for undergraduates and on drop/add class exceptions. It was contacted by the LJWorld about the possibility of domestic partners getting benefits at KU. This request for information was turned over to University Relations.
Adam McGonigle, President of the Student Senate:
Students are checking with focus groups about the Aquatic Center plans and will be conversation with KU Athletics Dept. soon. They will hold a dinner for KS legislators Jan 28 or 29th to share their ideas, concerns and support for KU. They are trying to arrange for free permits for ill folks to park near Watkins Hospital/Student Health Center.
Paul Farran, President of the Unclassified Senate:
They are working on their document repository, updating their bylaws and redesigning their website. Their Professional Development Committee arranged a tour of the public radio and audio reader facilities and will soon arrange for a session on updating one's career documentation.
Dennis Constance, President of the University Support Staff Senate
Dennis noted the loss of our fellow senator, Allan Eastland, and the possibility of a campus memorial in his honor. The USS Senate is discussing consistency (or lack thereof) of policy administration across campus, retaliation issues, ties with the Unclassified Senate and our hosting of the Classified and Support Staff Council (CSSC) next year.
Danny Anderson, Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, shared with the US a listing of the multitudinous university entities and areas he is responsible for/to (if you want to see the list, just ask me; it's astounding). At the end, he did mention the budget but didn't say anything we haven't already heard from the Chancellor or Provost.
USS Senate Task Force on Staff Assessment of Supervisors and Managers (SASM)
Thursday, 13 Nov, morning, 4 members of the task force met.
- We decided that at this time we won't ask anyone else to join the task force since Kristi resigned from the Senate.
- Mary Ann reported that she had been in touch with Carrie to check in and find out about some information that Celeste in Testing Services was to supply. Unfortunately Carrie is swamped and wouldn't be able to contact Celeste until after next week.
- Dennis reported that he and Mary Ann had a meeting Thursday afternoon with Mary Berry, President of University Senate and Social Welfare (SW) professor, to talk with her about the possibility of the School of SW being our academic unit for a trial run.
- Mary Ann mentioned the possibility of checking with library folks about participation in a trial run if the School of SW doesn't work out.
- We discussed timing of the trial run possibilities with the probable outcome that we will wait until spring semester to do the trial runs.
Thursday, 13 Nov, afternoon, 2 of the task force members met with Mary Berry.
Mary was very encouraging and said that she would talk with the Dean of SW on our behalf and then let us know how that went. Assuming it goes well, Mary said that we should meet with the Dean and make these points:
- That we have the backing of the Provost
- That we are supporting the Board of Regents' quest for accountability
- That the assessment is a constructive, not punitive, instrument
[Since this meeting, Mary Berry met with the Dean of SW who is amenable to meeting with us to talk about doing a trial run with the USS folks in her dept. An appointment for such a meeting needs to be made.]
Respectfully submitted: Peggy Robinson
(Items to be aware of for the future, not necessarily discussed in current meeting)
- 10/30 Eval meetings on hold for Mike’s rpt, working on Conf 09
- Flex time discussion
- Action items for KULSS Exec, FY09
- Grievance Committee Task Force / Action on hold (Sarah -email Scott for decision on Grievance membership from LFA)
- Staff Picnic (Action to begin 9/09). Will KULSS take this on long term, KULSA is short staffed. See Denise for KULSA Picnic budget. See Mike for support from Admin.
- KULSS on the KUL wiki (Sarah)