The University of Kansas Libraries
Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly
18.104.22.168 The Executive Committee shall ensure the orderly and effective operation of the Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly. It shall be the first point of contact for any matters referred to the attention of the Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly, save those which are specifically assigned to standing committees in the ensuing paragraphs of the Code of Governance, and, where appropriate, shall assign such matters to standing or ad hoc committees. The Executive Committee-elect shall meet following its election to organize and make committee appointments for the forthcoming year. Committee appointments shall be made early enough to ensure that the committees will be able to assume their duties on July 1. It shall schedule meetings, prepare agendas, review and revise charges to standing committees, ensure an appropriate roster for each ballot, and disseminate committee reports and ballot results by publication in an appropriate manner. This committee shall take no action contrary to the desires of the Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly.
22.214.171.124 The Chairperson of the Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly shall represent the Assembly on the Libraries’ Deans Council and the Libraries’ Management Council. The Chairperson shall serve or shall designate another member of the Executive Committee to serve as representative to the University Committee on Libraries.
126.96.36.199 The Executive Committee shall be composed of seven members: the officers of the Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly,(see 3.1.1 of the Code), three elected librarians, one from each of the three ranks of library faculty on regular appointment, and one elected member from the unclassified professional staff(i.e., membership category 2.1.4), who shall serve one-year terms. The vice-chair, who also serves as chairperson-elect, will have a second year in office as chairperson, so will serve a two year term. The Chairperson of the Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly shall act as the presiding officer of the Executive Committee.
188.8.131.52 Each of the committees here following shall include a member of the Executive Committee to act as a liaison with that body. The Executive Committee shall appoint this member as a non-voting member.
Special Charges 2011-2012
1. Emphasizing the role of the Executive Liaison to the LFPAcommittees, regular and expected reports back to Exec regarding the work of the committees should happen frequently.
Special Charges 2010-2011
1. Investigate and recommend a plan for storing and archiving LFPA committee documents.
2. Review the charges of all LFPA committees and determine whether they still actively address governance needs. As applicable, make recommendations for revised charges and/or structures.
3. Draft an annual report form template for LFPA committees.
4. Ensure that the new P&T procedures are followed during this year’s P&T reviews.
5. Review the committee webpage, including links to annual reports, minutes, and membership, on the LFPA Intranet. Provide any suggested new information, links, and updates to the Secretary of LFPA Executive Committee. The website is the way this committee communicates to the full LFPA and should provide current and complete information.
Special Charges 2009-2010
1. Since it has been a while since this committee’s charges have been reviewed, the committee is charged this year with reviewing all of its standing and special charges carefully. Consider what is needed and not needed in these charges, where the gaps or overlap exist with other committees’ charges and activities. Contact and confer with other LFPA committees or library entities if necessary and offer suggestions to reword the standing or special charges based upon your findings.
2. Review your web page on the LFPA’s site—consider rewording the descriptive text or adding a paragraph summarizing the committee’s purpose if one does not exist right now. The website is the way this committee communicates out to LFPA. Also review links to annual reports, minutes, membership and provide suggested links and updates to the Secretary of LFPA Executive Committee.
Special Charges 2007-2008
1. Hold luncheons with new members of LFA as needed (quarterly).
2. Appoint an ad hoc committee to develop revised guidelines and standards for the promotion and tenure process.
3. Appoint an ad hoc committee of unclassified professionals to identify issues of importance to UCP for LFA to address during the year.
4. Monitor the outcome of the Management Council retreat held July 19, 2007. (Susan Craig, Fran Devlin, Bayliss Harsh, Scott McEathron, Holly Mercer, Jan Waterhouse attended.)
5. Develop and host a program to discuss the value of library and university governance.