Summer Camp Students and Staff
Circulation Privileges for Summer Campers
- Must have a KU Library Borrower Card in order to check out items.
- May have a total of 20 library items checked out at any time.
- May have a limit of 2 reserve items checked out at any time.
- May check out long-term loan items (books, etc.) for no longer than the duration of the camp, or in any case, for no more than 6 weeks.
- May enter Search requests for items not found on the shelves by filling out a KU Libraries User Request Form (“green card”) available at most library service desks.
The KU Library Borrower Card grants only library checkout privileges for circulating collections. The card issued to summer campers does not include the following:
- Laptop checkout
- Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery services
- Retrieve from Shelf services
- Library workstation access
- Remote access to databases
- Reduced rate for copying
- Laser printing
- Wireless access
KU Library Borrower Card Application Process for Summer Campers
In order to purchase the KU Library Borrower Card (non-renewable paper card) at the reduced rate of $6.00 per card, several requirements must be met.
- The sponsoring program must accept responsibility for any fines/fees and lost item charges incurred and for the activities of the students while using the KU Libraries. This information must be provided in writing by the director of the program, and may be sent via an email message to Sarah Couch (email@example.com), Service Policy Coordinator, Watson Library, 1425 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045 (785-864-8979).
- No less than two weeks in advance of the program start date, send the following information to Sarah Couch, preferably as an Excel file sent as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Name of each student enrolled in program.
- Student’s home address and email address.
- Name of the parent/legal guardian and the parent/legal guardian’s mailing address and email address.
- To request borrower cards for program staff not already affiliated with the University of Kansas, provide an Excel file that includes the staff member's name, home address, email address, and beginning and ending dates on campus.
- Cards will be available two weeks following the receipt of complete student and staff information and may be picked up at the Watson Library Service Desk by a person authorized by the sponsoring program.
- Programs purchasing KU Library Borrower Cards will be billed $6.00 for each new and each replacement card. Invoices will be sent in September.
Each camper who is not sponsored by his/her program must meet Kansas residency requirements, provide a current photo ID card, pay $20.00 for the KU Library Borrower Card, and complete an application form that requires a notarized parent or legal guardian signature regardless of the age of the applicant. Questions may be directed to Sarah Couch (email@example.com or 785-864-8979).
Photocopying in the KU Libraries for Summer Campers
- Cash copying is available in all locations at 10 cents per copy.
- Microprinting is available in Anschutz Library, the Art & Architecture Library,the Spahr Engineering Library, and in Watson Library.
- Change is available in Anschutz Library, Art & Architecture Library, and Watson Library as well as other non-library locations on campus.
Library Workstation Access and Laser Printing in KU Libraries for Summer Campers
- Campus libraries provide a limited number of Community Access Workstations that do not require a KU login. A few locations have free printing for individuals who provide their own paper.
- For information about authorization to use Library Workstations with a KU login, please contact IT Account Management via email at firstname.lastname@example.org no less than two weeks in advance of your event's start date.
- If access to printing on Library Workstations is needed, please include this in your request to IT Account Management. The curent charge for printing is 8¢ per sheet.