The University of Kansas Libraries
Spahr Engineering Library Home >> Namesakes
Spahr Engineering Library is named in honor of Charles E. Spahr, B.S. Civil Engineering 1934, and Mary Jane Bruckmiller Spahr, who attended KU with the class of 1938. Mr. Spahr is a retired Chief Executive Officer of Standard Oil Company of Ohio. The original building, which opened in 1984, "was constructed through the generosity of industry, faculty, alumni, and friends of the School of Engineering. Charles E. Spahr chaired the School of Engineering advisory board committee that led to the development of this facility." The 1990 addition to the original building "was made possible through the generosity of Charles E. and Mary Jane Bruckmiller Spahr." Portraits of the Spahrs overlook the Library's main reading room.