The University of Kansas Libraries
Spahr Engineering Library
- Underlined resources are available through the KU Information Gateway. http://infogateway.ku.edu/
- Remote access to licensed resources is explained at http://www.lib.ku.edu/technology/
- KU Library Catalog. Lists all KU science and engineering books and journals.
- KU Medical Libraries Catalogs. Connect from within the KU Library Catalog.
- WorldCat. Merged catalogs of thousands of libraries worldwide.
- Web of Science. Interdisciplinary coverage of 5,900 journals in all fields of science and engineering beginning 1983. Special feature is cited reference searching.
- Subject databases:
Biology: Biological Abstracts.
Chemistry: SciFinder Scholar.
Engineering: Compendex. Indexes 5,000 journals in all areas of engineering.
Medicine and Biomedical Sciences: PubMed.
Biology: arXiv.org e-Print archive.
- National Technical Information Service (NTIS) database and web site.
- OSTI databases. U.S. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific & Technical Information. http://www.osti.gov/search/
- See also guide on Stanford University Library site http://www-sul.stanford.edu/collect/techrpt.html
- Dissertation Abstracts Online.
- Current Research @ University of Kansas. Full-text of KU dissertations and theses published after 1996.
- Scirus. "The most comprehensive science-specific search engine on the Internet." http://www.scirus.com/srsapp/
- Google Scholar. http://scholar.google.com/
- EEVL: The Internet Guide to Engineering, Mathematics & Computing. http://www.eevl.ac.uk/
- Google Science. http://directory.google.com/Top/Science/
- Google Technology. http://directory.google.com/Top/Science/Technology/
Renew your checked-out books online
Use KU Library Catalog-My Account.
Note: Overdue notices and all other official communications from the Library are sent via email.
- Request scans of articles delivered to your desktop:
- Article available in KU Library
- Article available in KU Medical Center Library
- Article not available in KU Library of KU Med
- Request a loan of a book not available in the KU Libraries: Use Request Materials page at https://illiad.lib.ku.edu/KKU/
- Request a book that is checked out be recalled for you: Use KU Library Catalog-Recalls & Requests button in Full Record, Recall option.
- Request a book that is in another KU Lawrence Campus library (viz. Anschutz Library) be delivered to Spahr for you: Use KU Library Catalog-Recalls & Requests button in Full Record, Retrieve from Shelf option.
- Request a book that is in the Library Annex (off-site storage facility) be delivered to Spahr for you: Use KU Library Catalog-Recalls & Requests button in Full Record, Retrieve from Shelf option. Note: See turnaround times for requests at http://www.lib.ku.edu/retrievalservices/turn.shtml. If you need an item immediately, you will need to get it yourself.
Recommend a book be purchased for the Library
- Contact the Engineering Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Submit an online form at http://www.lib.ku.edu/public/voyager/purchase.shtml
Get help using the library
- Phone: (785) 864-3866.
- In person, ask at Service Desk.
- Email reference service: Ask-a-Librarian at http://www.lib.ku.edu/aska/
- Contact the Engineering Librarian at email@example.com
- Print: Ask at Service Desk in Spahr
- Electronic: Connect from Spahr home page http://www.lib.ku.edu/EngLib/
All about journal article indexes & library catalogs
Most library databases offer similar functionalities such as the following:
- Guides. Example: SciFinder Scholar Resources at http://www.cas.org/SCIFINDER/SCHOLAR/index.html
- Tutorials. May require downloaded client. Example: PubMed Tutorial at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/
- Context-sensitive help. Example: Web of Science cited reference search (see below).
- Modes: Simple; Advanced; Expert
- Keyword; truncation/wildcards; phrases
- Controlled vocabulary
- Boolean logic
- Field searching
- Combining searches; search history
See also Database Search Techniques http://www.lib.ku.edu/research/technique.shtml
- Record formats
- Reference management software (RefWorks; EndNote) http://www.lib.ku.edu/technology/citing/
KULink connects a citation found in a journal article database with the full-text article in the online edition of the journal, if available at KU. Otherwise, KULink expedites finding the print edition of the journal in the KU Library or the placement of a request for a copy of the article through interlibrary loan/document delivery.
Current awareness (requires registration)
- Saved searches
Cited reference searching: Web of Science only
- Use one good article to find more on the same subject.
- Evaluate articles by how many times they are cited.