The University of Kansas Libraries
Instructions for exporting citations from AfricaBib to EndNote
AfricaBib is search-able as a database on its own, however, when you move to download an article or citation, it will relocate you to Google Scholar. For this reason, it is necessary to set up Google Scholar for EndNote export before using AfricaBib.
- Before conducting your first search, log in to the library and open Google Scholar (in a separate tab, if necessary) and click Settings in the upper right-hand corner of the Google Scholar home screen.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Scholar Settings screen and, under the Bibliography manager heading, use the drop-down menu to select RefMan in the Show links to import citations into field (illustrated below), then click Save.
- Now switch over to AfricaBib and conduct your search.
- For a citation you wish to export, click Google Scholar.
- Google Scholar will only export one citation at a time. Complete the export by simply clicking "Import into EndNote from the blue options under each listing.
Some browsers may ask you to choose a helper application.
- Check Open with then click Browse.
- This will open a second box (the Choose Helper Application box). Select EndNote.
- Click OK to both boxes when finished.
- You can also check Do this automatically for files like this from now on, to save time in the future.
If citations fail to export, also check for pop-up blockers (which may appear as a banner notice along the top or bottom of your screen). Citation also will not export if you have a reference open in EndNote. (To be sure you do not have a reference open, in EndNote, click on All References.)