The University of Kansas Libraries
Instructions for exporting citations from FirstSearch databases to EndNote
A sample search using Article First gives an overview of how to export from most FirstSearch databases to EndNote.
- Conduct your search.
- Check boxes for the citations you wish to export then click Export from the upper menu.
- In the next screen, click on Marked records from this search to transport only the records you have selected then click EndNote in the Export To box. When finished, click Export.
- You may be asked to choose an import filter. Highlighted below are several filters that correspond with databases at KU. If you don't see the name of your database, try typing OCLC (and then pressing Enter) in the search box to bring up a full list of FirstSearch databases.
Click Choose when you have made your selection. The export process should complete automatically.
Some browsers may ask you to choose a helper application.
- Check Open with then click Browse.
- This will open a second box (the Choose Helper Application box). Select EndNote.
- Click OK to both boxes when finished.
- You can also check Do this automatically for files like this from now on, to save time in the future.
If citations fail to export, also check for pop-up blockers (which may appear as a banner notice along the top or bottom of your screen). Citation also will not export if you have a reference open in EndNote. (To be sure you do not have a reference open, in EndNote, click on All References.)