Loan Periods and Due Dates
Loan Periods for Library Materials
All loans are subject to the rules of the lending library. Library users will find it useful to be familiar with the loan period terminology.
- 4 months for KU faculty, staff, graduate students, and authorized affiliates
- 6 weeks for undergraduate students and all other borrowers
- Used for the Libraries’ monographic (book) collections
- Can be renewed online by eligible borrowers
Short-term and Reserve Loans
- Loan periods of two weeks to as little as two hours apply equally to all borrower categories
- Used for reserve, some periodicals, videos, DVDs, and other audio-visual collections
- Some items may be restricted to in-library use only
- Cannot be renewed online (the one exception is that Art, Music, and Watson videos and DVDs may be renewed online once)
Reference collections and other selected items, including some periodicals, may be designated as non-circulating. This means the items must be used in the library where they are housed.
Due Dates (When are the items I checked out due?)
All library users are responsible for keeping track of the due dates and times for materials and equipment checked out from the KU Libraries.
The staff member who checked out the library materials to you should tell you the due date and time. If you have questions or do not understand this information, please ask before you leave the service desk.
To find out when checked out items are due and whether they have been recalled:
- Go to the Library Catalog. Click My Account.
- Enter patron barcode, your last name, and click Login. KU students, faculty, and staff may also log in with their KU Online ID and Password.
- Scroll down to Items Checked Out to review list of items checked out, their statuses, and due dates.
- Charged (checked out) and Renewed items will display a due date.
- Recalled items display the new due date followed by a date in parenthesis that is the last previously recorded due date.
- If you need to renew any of the long-term loan items, see the instructions in Renewing Library Materials.
- Click Logout to exit your library record.