Recalls and Requests
Hold Shelf (On Hold)
Library materials that become available for borrowers as the result of a search, recall, interlibrary loan, or other request will be placed on the Hold Shelf at the designated pick-up or deliver to location.
Users will be sent an Item Available Notice, and borrowers will have 10 days from the date on the notice to come to the designated library to check out the item.
For requests that have item records in the library system, borrowers may review the status of requests from My Account.
Recalling Library Materials
Long-term-loan library materials, checked out for six weeks or longer, may be recalled immediately from any borrower.
A Recall Notice will immediately be sent to the borrower, and the item must be returned by the New Due Date specified in the notice in order to avoid a fine (or earlier if the library will be closed on the due date).
The due date previously assigned to the item is no longer valid. If the item is already overdue at the time it is recalled, the recall due date will be the original due date.
To place a recall request, go to the Library Catalog. Select the Full Record for the item wanted. If item is checked out to another borrower, it may be recalled by following these steps:
- Click Recalls & Requests.
- Enter your barcode, your last name, and click Login. KU students, faculty, and staff may also log in with their KU Online ID and Password.
- Highlight Recall from the dropdown, and click OK.
- Re-enter your personal barcode number to confirm your request.
- Select a Deliver To location from the pull-down menu.
- Click Submit Request. A message will confirm the recall has been placed.
- Logout to exit your library record.
The current borrower has 14 days to return a recalled item. When a recalled item is returned, it will be placed on the hold shelf at the designated pick-up location, and the requestor will be sent an Item Available Notice, usually via e-mail. The item will be held for 10 days from the date on the notice.
Pending Requests and Items Available may be reviewed by going to the Library Catalog. Click My Account and log in with your 8-digit barcode and last name. KU students, faculty, and staff may also log in with their KU Online ID and Password.
The Library Annex: Annex Requests
Obtaining loans of materials
KU faculty, staff, students, and resident borrowers may request material be pulled from the Annex and delivered to any KU library on campus. Materials will normally be available at the circulation desk within 24 hours, Monday – Friday. Patrons submit requests through the KU Library Catalog using the Retrieve from Shelf service and will be notified when material is ready for pick up.
Obtaining copies of articles from print journals
KU faculty, staff, and students may request copies of articles from print journals that are in the Annex through KU Libraries WebRetrieve. Articles are typically available within three weekdays, Monday – Friday.
Viewing items onsite
If you have a large quantity of volumes that you would like to view onsite you can contact the Library Annex staff to setup an appointment. Advance notice is required to allow time for the retrieval of items to be viewed. The facility lacks photocopy, fax and scanning equipment.
Please contact the Library Annex at email@example.com indicating the items you need pulled by providing the Call Number(s) and volumes needed.
Any items you determine to need to be checked out will be routed to the circulation desk of your choice within 24 hrs Monday – Friday, following your appointment.
Retrieve from Shelf
Retrieve from Shelf is a service that will pull KU Libraries materials from the shelves and place them on hold for you at the KU Libraries Service Desk of your choice.
Search for Items not Found on the Shelves
Items Identified with Available Status in Library Catalog
If you are unable to find a KU item on the shelves, ask first for assistance at the closest library service desk to see if the item can be found. If the item cannot be located, submit a Retrieve from Shelf request.
Borrowers with KU Library Borrower Cards may submit a manual request at any library service desk using the KU Libraries User Request Form (green card).
If the requested item does not become available within a reasonable period of time, submit an Interlibrary Loan Request for the item.
Items Identified as Currently Checked Out or Overdue in Library Catalog
Recall the item by clicking the Recalls & Requests button from within the Full Record for the item in the Library Catalog, OR
Place an Interlibrary Loan Request for the item.
Items Identified as Lost, Missing, Damaged, or as “Item on search – may be lost”
Submit an Interlibrary Loan Request for the item, and the library will borrow it from another library for your use.
TripSaver is an expansion of the currently available Retrieve from Shelf service. TripSaver is currently designed for KU Faculty and Staff to request eligible library materials to be sent to them via Campus Mail to wherever Campus Mail currently delivers on the Lawrence campus.
How do I place a TripSaver request for KU owned items?
- Find an item that you would like in the KU Library Catalog.
- Click on the Recalls and Requests button along the top of the page.
- Login using your KUID (last 8 digits on KU card) and last name (in lowercase).
- Select Retrieve from Shelf from the drop down menu and click on OK.
- Complete the form and select -zTripSaver as your pick up location.
- Items with the -zTripSaver pick up location will be sent to you via Campus Mail to your department location in the KU Libraries Circulation System.
Can I get my Interlibrary Loan books delivered to me via TripSaver?
- Yes, if you would like to receive your Interlibrary Loan books via this service you will need to change your pick up location in WebRetrieve by doing the following:
- Go to WebRetrieve.
- Login using your KUID (last 8 digits on KU card) and last name (in lowercase).
- Click on Change User Information.
- Change your pickup location to TripSaver, also choose a back up location from the second drop down list for items that can't be delivered to you.
- Note that not all Interlibrary Loan items will be eligible for TripSaver. Items that have Library Use Only restrictions, short use periods, or that may be fragile will need to be picked up at a KU Libraries Service Desk that you choose as a backup location.
- Once you have activated TripSaver for your Interlibrary Loan items all of your eligible Interlibrary Loan items will be delivered this way until you change it to a different option.
- Please keep in mind if you will not be in your department for a period of time consider deactivating TripSaver so items will not be delivered while you are away.
Where are materials delivered to?
- Items are delivered to wherever you currently receive your Campus Mail in your department.
- Note that Campus Mail will not accept returns. Any items you receive via TripSaver will need to be returned to any of the KU Libraries Service Desks or Bookdrops.
What items are eligible for TripSaver?
- KU owned items including most books, some bound journals, some micro format materials, and some videos.
- Circulating items located at the KU Libraries Annexes.
- Interlibrary Loan Items with at least a 11 day loan period unless they are deemed too fragile or are restricted to Library Use Only by the Lending Library.
How long will it take to receive my items?
- KU owned items should be delivered to you in 3 working days.
- Interlibrary Loan items will be delivered to you within 3 days of the item being received by KU Interlibrary Loan Staff.
- Turnaround time excludes weekends and university holidays.
What are the terms of this service?
- Patrons are held responsible for items requested via this service from the time that staff check the item out to them and places it in Campus Mail.
- Currently, only KU Faculty and Staff with Campus Mail delivery to their departments are eligible for this service.
- Although it is not our intent to limit the number of items an eligible person may request, the library will reserve the right to process no more than ten items per person per day when there is heavy demand for the TripSaver.
- Please keep in mind if you will not be in your department for a period of time consider not using TripSaver so items will not be delivered to your department while you are away.
I got the following error: Your Patron Initiated Call Slip Request failed. You have placed the maximum number of Call Slip requests. What do I do now?
- As stated above, there is no limit imposed by the system on the number of requests that you may place. In most cases this error happens when you either miskeyed your barcode or last name when logging in to place your request. To clear the error you will need to completely close out of your browser window and start over. If you still have problems then please contact us.
I received a cancellation notice. What are my options for getting my materials now?
- Most items that are cancelled by this service are items that couldn't be located on the shelves and have been declared missing by staff and placed on search. Some items will turn up after extensive searching but it is suggested that if you need the item quickly to request it via Interlibrary Loan using WebRetrieve. When placing your Interlibrary Loan request please choose the Request a Loan -> Not Available at KU.
- Some requests will be cancelled with the reason of Not Available for Delivery. Most items that are cancelled with this reason are requests from currently ineligible patrons. If you are not a Faculty or Staff member you are not currently eligible. If you receive this type of cancellation notice, then please re-request your item and choose one of the KU Libraries Service Desks from the drop down list.
- If you ever have a question regarding a cancellation notice please contact us at ILLLend@ku.edu.
Who can I contact if I have questions?
- Staff who handle TripSaver requests can be contacted via phone at 785-864-3964 or via email at ILLLend@ku.edu.