Retrieve from Shelf
Retrieve from Shelf is a service that will pull KU Libraries materials from the shelves and place them on hold for you at the KU Libraries Service Desk of your choice.
Who can use Retrieve from Shelf service?
- Any eligible KU Libraries patron may use this service with the exception of Resident Borrowers.
- Resident Borrowers may only use this service for the retrieval of items from the KU Libraries Annexes.
How do I place a Retrieve from Shelf request?
- Find an item that you would like in the KU Library Catalog.
- Click on the Recalls and Requests button along the top of the page.
- Login using your KUID (last 8 digits on KU card) and last name (in lowercase).
- Select Retrieve from Shelf from the drop down menu and click on OK.
- Complete the form and select the pick up location of your choice from the following locations: Watson Circulation Desk, Anschutz Circulation Desk, Music Circulation Desk, Art Circulation Desk, Engineering Circulation Desk, Edwards Circulation Desk (in Kansas City), or Spencer Research Library.
- If you choose zTripSaver from the list please check if you are eligible for this service first. Information about TripSaver can be found at Trip Saver.
Where are materials delivered to? How long will they stay there?
- Items are delivered to the KU Libraries Service Desk of your choice.
- Items will be available after you receive the Item Available Notice via email.
- Items will remain on the hold shelf for 10 days from the day that you receive your Item Available Notice.
What items are eligible for Retrieve from Shelf?
- KU owned items including most books, some bound journals, some micro format materials, and some videos.
- All items located at the KU Libraries Annexes.
How long will it take to receive my items?
- Items should be available to you typically within 3 working days.
- Turnaround time excludes weekends and university holidays.
Is there a limit on the number of items I can request?
Although it is not our intent to limit the number of items an eligible person may request, the library will reserve the right to process no more than ten items per person per day when there is a heavy demand for the Retrieve from Shelf.
I got the following error: "Your Patron Initiated Call Slip Request failed. You have placed the maximum number of Call Slip requests." What do I do now?
As stated above, there is no limit imposed by the system on the number of requests that you may place. In most cases this error happens when you either miskeyed your barcode or last name when logging in to place your request. To clear the error you will need to completely close out of your browser window and start over. If you still have problems then please contact us.
I received a cancellation notice. What are my options for getting my materials now?
- Most items that are canceled by this service are items that couldn't be located on the shelves and have been declared missing by staff and placed on search. Some items will turn up after extensive searching but it is suggested that if you need the item quickly to request it via Interlibrary Loan using WebRetrieve. When placing your Interlibrary Loan request please choose the Request a Loan -> Not Available at KU.
- If you ever have a question regarding a cancellation notice please contact us at ILLLend@ku.edu.
Who can I contact if I have questions?
Staff who handle Retrieve from Shelf requests can be contacted via phone at 785-864-3964 or via email at ILLLend@ku.edu.