Mission & Charge
KU Libraries Student Ambassadors Program (KULSAP) exists to engage and build awareness among students toward enhancing libraries’ services and facilities.
KULSAP exists to promote student input and involvement in library services and programming. Members of KULSAP will also work closely with the Office of Communications & Advancement to engage with library donors and learn about library advancement.
Responsibility for facilitating KULSAP falls within the Office of Communications & Advancement.
Any full-time student (graduate or undergraduate) is eligible to apply to join KULSAP. The group ideally includes a diverse demographic and range of majors and class years. To be eligible to serve as a member of KULSAP, one must be a full-time student at the University of Kansas. There will be no more than 10 members of KULSAP at one time. Individually, KULSAP members are known as library ambassadors.
The length in term for a member of KULSAP will be one academic year (August to May), with an option to renew via shortened application process at the end of that academic year.
KULSAP members are expected to:
- Attend orientation (to be held during the first meeting) in which KULSAP members learn about and engage in open discussion on libraries’ priorities, policies, and initiatives.
- Attend monthly KULSAP meetings. Members will be granted one (1) exception to this requirement per year.
- Work to continually contribute to an inclusive and welcoming environment for all Jayhawks.
- Maintain a high level of enthusiasm and mindfulness in your role as an advocate for KU Libraries.
Application and Selection
Those interested in serving as part of KULSAP will do the following to apply:
- Complete the online application
- Upload a résumé, CV, or contact information for an academic reference.
- Applicants will participate in an interview, made up of standard questions, as well as a brief (3-5 minute) presentation on a pre-determined topic.
Benefits of the Program
Participants in this program can expect:
- Leadership experience
- Guided campus and community involvement
- A voice in influencing the future of the libraries
- Engagement with campus donors
- Opportunity for professional development and workshops
- Professional headshot for personal use
- To build a campus network
- KULSAP apparel and accessories
- Special event invitations
Benefit to KU Libraries
This group helps KU Libraries to build a more positive, responsive relationship with the KU student body. We empower members to become the student advocates of the libraries, especially pertaining to new initiatives and their effects on campus constituents.
Results of educating and drawing insights from these undergraduate ambassadors contribute to advancing the libraries’ strategic directions, including the aim to expand our role as collaborative educational partners. These efforts enhance our services and improve students’ academic success.
In addition, the ability to more effectively connect with this key constituency augments the public perception of the libraries on campus, and contributes to developing and maintaining relationships with the next generation of potential donors. The success of a student advisory board further enables us to advocate for the essential role of KU Libraries in research productivity, student learning, and overall engagement.