About Electronic Reserves
E-Reserves are electronically accessible, full text images of articles and short book chapters, that meet fair use copyright guidelines. They benefit students 24 hours a day, seven days a week access to course readings.
Previous e-reserves services were discontinued in 2009. Using Blackboard to provide access to e-reserve readings will better protect the rights of copyright owners and limit any liability on the part of the university.
Using Canvas or Blackboard
Faculty will create a course page for each class that they want to use electronic reserves.
Go directly to the Canvas Login page.
Go directly to the Blackboard Login page.
Determine whether the intended resources meet the "fair use" exemption:
See the Copyright guide for more information.
Adding Library Resources (after fair use determination):
Library held resources can be added to your Blackboard account in three different ways:
By linking directly to the electronically held version within the KU Libraries licensed electronic content.
By requesting scanning and electronic delivery of library held materials (some restrictions as to length/amount may apply)
- Submit requests through WebRetrieve, KU's Document Delivery and Interlibrary Loan request system.
- Electronic copies are supplied within 1-3 business days. The Libraries reserve the right to decline to scan any Course Materials that it deems violates Copyright Law.
Self-scanning of selected materials
- The KU Libraries provides a variety of scanners, printers and copiers that are available for patron use.
- Checkout materials (when possible) for scanning back at your home unit/department.
Getting copyright clearance
If you have items that don't fall within "fair use," see the Custom Coursepacks section below.
Another option available for the electronic delivery of course content is the use of Coursepacks. These packs can be created in both print and electronic format and are useful if items for your course do not fall within the provisions of the "fair use" exemption.
Submit coursepack requests through KU Bookstore
See "Custom Coursepacks" at Jayhawk Ink.
- For questions about Custom Coursepacks, contact the Print Production Manager at 785-864-2470 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Library Support for E-Reserves
- Self-Service Scanning Equipment
- Fair use analysis and determination
- Digitizing DVDs/Videos for Classroom Use
- Linking to E-Resources
- On-site Reserves Services
Warning concerning copyright compliance:
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. Under certain circumstances specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order, if in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of the Copyright law.