Ada Emmett

Ada Emmett
  • Acting University Ombuds/Librarian
  • Acting University Ombuds, 80%; Director, Shulenburger Office of Scholarly Communication & Copyright (20%)

Contact Info

Watson Library, Room 470
1425 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS 66045


I am currently serving as Acting University Ombuds with an 80% appointment; my remaining 20% is my faculty appointment in the libraries as of December 15, 2020. Prior to that I served as Faculty Ombuds 20% time from July 2019 and 80% faculty librarian. I have been a tenure track librarian since 2002, working as assistant, then associate, and now full librarian advocating for equity in the scholarly publishing system and for open access. I am excited to be part of the University Ombuds Office and learning from most recent University Ombuds, Dr. D. A. Graham.


Other in Linguistics, The University of Michigan, 1986, Ann Arbor, MI
Other, University of Washington, 2002, Seattle, WA


I am working with local and international open access experts to examine the equity and justice of future models for the scholarly communication system. My collaborative research encourages the inclusion of diverse stakeholders from around the world to shape an equitable global system of scholarly publishing. We have published formal and informal pieces and developed and hosted an international symposium here at KU last fall to continue to explore the landscape of open access as it evolves. My publications are in KU ScholarWorks and listed here, our OAnarchy blog is here, and our symposium information here,

Research interests:

  • open access
  • scholarly communication
  • scholarly publishing
  • information literacy
  • copyrights
  • author rights
  • fair use.

Selected Publications

Emmett, Ada, Josh Bolick, Marc L. Greenberg, A. Townsend Peterson, and Brian Rosenblum. 2018. “Envisioning a Global, Open Publishing System without APCs: The Need for Sophisticated Forms of Cooperation.” Journal Articles. Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication.
Kieft, Robert, Ada Emmett, Josh Bolick, and Rebecca Kennison. 2017. “OA Beyond APCs: A Conference Report.” Web Publishing (article, blog, etc.). In the Open (Blog).
Bolick, Josh, Ada Emmett, Marc L. Greenberg, Brian Rosenblum, and A. Townsend Peterson. 2017. “How Open Access Is Crucial to the Future of Science.” Journal Articles. Journal of Wildlife Management and Wildlife 81 (4): 564–66.
Peterson, A.  Townsend, Ada Emmett, Josh Bolick, Marc L Greenberg, and Brian Rosenblum. 2016. “ Subsidizing Truly Open Access.” Other. Science.
Bonaccorso, E., R. Bozhankova, C. D. Cadena, V. Čapská, L. Czerniewicz, A. Emmett, F. F. Oludayo, et al. 2014. “Bottlenecks in the Open-Access System: Voices from Around the Globe.” Journal Articles. Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication 2 (2): eP1126.
Peterson, A. T., A. Emmett, and M. L. Greenberg. 2013. “Open Access and the Author-Pays Problem: Assuring Access for Readers and Authors in a Global Community of Scholars.” Journal Articles. Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication 1 (3): eP1064.
Emmett, A, and J Stratton. 2011. Open Access to Knowledge: A University Case Study. Conference Proceedings. Proceeding, International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA’s) Social Science Libraries Section Satellite Conference: “A Bridge to Knowledge for Sustainable Development”, Havana, Cuba. Vol. 42.
Emmett, Ada, John Stratton, Andrew T. Peterson, Jennifer Church-Duran, and Lorraine Haricombe. 2011. “Toward Open Access: It Takes a Village.” Journal Articles. Journal of Library Administration 51: 1–23.
Emmett, Ada, and Judith Emde. 2007. “Assessing Information Literacy Skills Using the ACRL Standards as a Guide.” Journal Articles. Reference Services Review 35 (2): 210–29.

Selected Presentations

Emmett, A. (4/23/2018). How to Develop a Faculty Open Access Policy as a Multi-stakeholder, Multi-year Cooperative Project. Digital Initiatives Symposium. University of San Diego. and
Emmett, A. (10/19/2015). University Librarians functional and advocacy roles in the Open Access movement. Webinar Presentation, Library and Information Association of South Africa, University of KwaZulu-Natal Howard College. South Africa.

Awards & Honors

Sabbatical Fall 2018
University of Kansas
Gretchen and Gene A. Budig Distinguished Librarian Award
University of Kansas
Emerald Literati Network – Awards for Excellence 2008. Outstanding Paper Award, Emerald Publishers
Emerald Publishers

Grants & Other Funded Activity

Sophisticated Forms of Cooperation: Mechanisms for Equity in an Open Access Publishing System. 2800688. $6000.00. Submitted 4/1/2018 (7/1/2018 - 6/30/2019). This award will support my sabbatical efforts by allowing me to attend conferences and trainings in preparation for completion of my sabbatical project. See "field research" section for description of my site visits, meetings, consultations.. University (KU or KUMC). Status: Funded