Care and Handling of Library Materials
All library users can help extend the life of the University of Kansas Libraries' collections by following these guidelines:
- Protect borrowed materials from rain, dampness, sun, heat, pets, and smoking and tobacco products.
- Handle books carefully, especially when photocopying and scanning.
- Mark your place with a bookmark; do not bend corners of pages or use tape, Post-It notes, paper clips, or other objects.
- Take notes rather than using highlighters, underlining, or writing in the margins of the Libraries' books and periodicals.
- Avoid eating snacks and drinking beverages while handling or working around library materials.
Please notify the library staff at any service desk if you discover a book that needs repair.
To learn more, see the following items:
The Library of Congress provides information about the Care, Handling, and Storage of Books.
Smith College presents a visual display in Book Care and Handling Tips.
The BYU Library shares a video titled Many Stations of Book Preservation.