Renewing Library Materials
Policies regarding the renewal of library materials are outlined in the KU Policy Library document titled KU Libraries: Renewing and Returning Library Materials.
How to Renew Long-term Loan KU Library Materials
Renewal of long-term loan items (checked out for 6 weeks or longer) may be accomplished online through the Libraries' website, provided the items have not been requested by another patron, and the borrower is in good standing.
- Long-term loan items may be renewed online:
- Six times by KU graduate students, faculty, staff, and affiliates
- Five times by KU undergraduate students and resident and reciprocal borrowers
- After the maximum number of online renewals has been used, the items must be returned to the library to be checked out again.
- Items not successfully renewed online or not eligible for online renewal will need to be returned to the library by the due date and time listed to avoid overdue fines and/or lost item replacement charges and processing fees.
- All long-term loan items are subject to recall and must be returned by the new due date to avoid overdue charges.
Renewing KU Items with Quick Search Login
- Go to Libraries' website.
- Under Borrow & Request, click My Account.
- Log in as instructed. See Authentication, Identification Requirements, Barcodes, and Logging in for Library Services for login help.
- Your name will appear in the upper right of the screen, and the My Account options will display. Click My Account.
- In the Items Checked Out tile, you have two options:
- Click RENEW ALL to renew all eligible items.
- To renew selected items, click VIEW ALL LOANS to open the complete list of ITEMS CHECKED OUT.
- Click the box in front of an item to be renewed, then the RENEW button on the right. The new due date will appear in a yellow box below ITEMS CHECKED OUT
- Items just renewed will also move within the due date sequencing, usually to the bottom of the list of ITEMS CHECKED OUT and will display the due date and a Renewed status.
- Items identified as Not Renewable will need will need to be returned to the library by the due date and time listed to avoid overdue fines and/or lost item replacement charges and processing fees.
- Click your name in the upper right corner to select the Sign Out option and then close your browser.
- If you have any questions, contact library staff for information or send an email inquiry to the Circulation Business Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Renewing KU Items with Library Catalog Login
- Go to the Libraries' website. Under Find Resources, click Library Catalog.
- Click My Account and log in as instructed. See Authentication, Identification Requirements, Barcodes, and Logging in for Library Services for login help.
- When the list of Items Checked Out appears, you have two options:
- Click the Renew? box in front of each item to be renewed. Then click Renew Items at the bottom of the list.
- To attempt renewal of all items, scroll down to the dropdown box that offers two choices:
- Renew checked items, and,
- Renew all items from University of Kansas Libraries. To renew all items, select Renew all items from University of Kansas Libraries, then Renew Items.
- Be certain to review the Items Checked Out list again under the heading Renewal Status.
- Items marked with a status of Renewed will display new due dates.
- Items marked as Not Renewed do not provide an explanation. Contact library staff for information or send an email inquiry to the Circulation Business Specialist at email@example.com.
- Items not marked for renewal will display an empty box.
- Click Logout to exit your library record.
How to Renew Short-term and Course Reserve Loan KU Library Materials
- Short-term loan items are checked out for two week or less.
- Selected short-term loan items, all checked out for one week, may be renewed online once for one additional week:
- Bound and unbound journals shelved in Anschutz, Music, Spahr, and Watson
- Videos and DVDs shelved in Art, Music, and Watson
- 1-week laptops from Anschutz, Spahr, and Watson
- The Anschutz Digital Recorder Kits and Digital Recorder Windscreen may be checked out for two weeks and be renewed online for one additional week.
- All other short-term loan items checked out for two weeks or less must be returned to the library from which they were checked out in order to check them out again in person by presenting the items and your KU Card, KU Proxy Borrower Card, or KU Library Borrower Card.
Course Reserve Loans
- All Course Reserve items must be returned to the library from which they were checked out in order to check them out again in person by presenting the items and your KU Card.
- Course Reserve items cannot be renewed online.
Items That Cannot Be Renewed Online
- Interlibrary Loan items borrowed from another library.
- Items that have already been renewed the maximum number of times allowed.
- Items that have been Recalled by another library user.
- Items that have been declared lost and billed for replacement.
- Virtually all items checked out for two weeks or less including equipment and Course Reserves.
- Items checked to library users who owe $80 or more in library charges.
- Items checked out to library users who are no longer eligible for library services (not enrolled or employed, borrower card expired, for example).
Renewal Limits: why is there a renewal limit?
KU Libraries renewal policies are intended to encourage users to return library materials they are no longer actively using. This makes more books available for browsing and research by other library users and protects the library's collections from damage and loss. KU Libraries and all library users are responsible for the safety and security of the collections, and asking users to bring the books to the library at regular intervals helps both the users and KU Libraries to meet that responsibility.
Renewing KU Library Materials In Person at a Library Service Desk
After the maximum number of online renewals have been used and for items that cannot be renewed online, library borrowers in good standing may present KU library materials eligible to be checked out again at a KU Libraries' service desk. With the items in hand and with presentation of the KU Card (or acceptable substitute), the KU Proxy Borrower Card and photo ID, or the KU Library Borrower Card and government-issued photo ID, eligible items may be checked out again.
Telephone, mail, and email renewals are not available.
Renewing Interlibrary Loan Items Borrowed from Another Library
To determine if Interlibrary Loan items borrowed from another library can be renewed, contact Acquisitions and Resource Sharing at 785-864-3960 (8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday) or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the due date to determine if Interlibrary Loan items can be renewed or not. Note that interlibrary loan items with “not renewable” recorded on the jacket at time of checkout cannot be renewed. For additional information, see How do I request a renewal?
For additional information, see the KU Policy Library document titled KU Libraries: Renewing and Returning Library Materials.