Visiting Students Grades K-12
Tours of KU Libraries
Library guided tours include an introduction to the library facilities, collections, and services.
To plan a tour to one of these libraries, please contact:
- Anschutz Library - Scott Cossel, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Watson Library - Christen Caton, email@example.com
- Kenneth Spencer Research Library - Caitlin Donnelly, firstname.lastname@example.org Kansas Collection, Special Collections, University Archives
- Murphy Art and Architecture Library - Andrea Pitt, email@example.com
- Music and Dance Library - Chris Bohling, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spahr Engineering Library - Channette Alexander, email@example.com
Guide to College Readiness
An online guide for resources and tools to support high school students, teachers and librarians in the development of writing, research and study skills is available at http://guides.lib.ku.edu/collegereadiness covering:
- how to find articles
- how to find books
- evaluating sources
- primary source description (video)
- scholarly vs. popular sources
These tutorials provide basic introductions to researching library resources successfully and services available.
Scheduling a Library Instruction Session
Based on availability of personnel and facilities, the staff at KU Libraries is willing to provide instruction sessions for classes with a clearly stated need and learning outcome. Extended sessions beyond one hour in length cannot be accommodated. Please contact us at least 4 weeks in advance of the date you wish to come.
Please submit a Library Instruction Request Form to request a library instruction session.
If your group is eligible for a library instruction session, we will discuss with you the assignment and your students' research topics prior to your visit to assist us in planning a session that will meet your goals for your students. Please be prepared to provide the assignment and a list of preliminary topics when you schedule your visit.
For all groups (receiving a library instruction session or not), at least one teacher, school librarian, or media specialist must accompany students. Depending on the number of students, we may need to divide the group into multiple sessions.
If students will be utilizing our online databases, a temporary login is required. Please consult these guidelines to request logins in order for students to use library workstations. A request for logins must be requested at least two weeks in advance.
Please encourage students to bring flash drives for downloading journal articles.
If students will be checking out library materials, a borrower’s permit is required. To assure availability of permits at time of visit, please consult these guidelines well in advance.
Links to Library and Campus Information
- KU Libraries home page https://lib.ku.edu
- Map of campus libraries and collections https://lib.ku.edu/locations-hours
- Map of campus and directions to KU http://admissions.ku.edu/directions
- Office of Admissions--campus tours http://www.admissions.ku.edu/
- KU Parking information http://www.parking.ku.edu/
- Natural History Museum http://naturalhistory.ku.edu/
- Spencer Museum of Art http://www.spencerart.ku.edu/