Recalls and Requests
Hold Shelf (On Hold)
Library materials that become available for borrowers as the result of a search, recall, interlibrary loan, or other request will be placed on the Hold Shelf at the designated pick-up or deliver to location. Users will be sent an Item Available Notice, and requestors will usually have 10 days (5 days for selected items such as DVDs and 3 days for equipment items such as 1-week laptops) from the date on the notice to come to the designated library to check out the items. For Interlibrary Loan items borrowed from another library with short loan periods, library users will be notified with an email message of the deadline to check out and return the items. For requests that have item records in the library system, borrowers may review the status of requests from My Account.
Search for Items Not Found on the Shelves
Items Identified with Available Status in Library Catalog
If you are unable to find a KU item on the shelves, ask first for assistance at the closest library service desk to see if the item can be found. If the item cannot be located, submit a Retrieve from Shelf request. Borrowers with KU Library Borrower Cards may submit a manual request at any library service desk using the KU Libraries User Request Form (green card). If the requested item does not become available within a reasonable period of time, submit an Interlibrary Loan Request for the item. Resident and reciprocal borrowers should check with their local public, college, or university library about interlibrary loan services.
Items Identified as Currently Checked Out or Overdue in Library Catalog
Library users have two options when a library item is already checked out to another user: 1) you may Recall the item from the current borrower, or 2) KU students, faculty, staff, and affiliates may place an Interlibrary Loan request. Both options have advantages and disadvantages, but we ask that you start by placing only one request for the needed item. The Interlibrary Loan request will usually arrive sooner with a short loan period. A Recall request usually takes 14 days for the item to become available, but the item will usually be available for a longer loan.
To Recall the item, click the Recalls & Requests button from within the Full Record for the item in the Library Catalog, or use the Request option from a Library Search. See detailed instructions for Recalling Library Materials below.
To place an Interlibrary Loan Request for the item, KU students, faculty, staff, and affiliates may log in to WebRetrieve to request the item. Since you are requesting a KU-owned item, record a message of "KU item checked out" in the Notes field.
Items Identified as Lost, Missing, Damaged, or as “Item on search – may be lost”
KU students, faculty, staff, and affiliates should submit an Interlibrary Loan Request for the item, and the library will borrow it from another library for your use. Resident and reciprocal borrowers should check with their local public, college, or university library about interlibrary loan services.
Library Annex Requests
Request Annex Materials
KU students, faculty, staff, affiliates, resident borrowers, and reciprocal borrowers may request circulating items to be retrieved from the Library Annex and delivered to any KU Libraries location on the Lawrence campus or to the Edwards Campus RC Desk. Materials will normally be available at a library circulation desk within 24 hours, Monday - Friday.
Circulating items placed in the Library Annex can be identified by the shelving location reported in the record display.
Location: Valid KU borrowers - click on Recall/Request button - AnnexW
- If the item is a journal or book with this location, proceed as follows:
- Check the Library Catalog to determine if the article(s) or chapter(s) you need are available electronically.
- If you know the article needed, place a request for a copy of the article or chapter using WebRetrieve. See Document Delivery for information about how to do this.
- Articles are typically available within three weekdays, Monday - Friday.
- To borrow an item located in the Library Annex, submit a request through the KU Library Catalog using the Retrieve from Shelf request.
- Resident and Reciprocal borrowers may place interlibrary loan requests for articles or chapters through their local library or may request the physical item using the Retrieve from Shelf service.
Non-circulating items placed in the Library Annex can be identified by the shelving location reported in the record display.
Location: Request through email to email@example.com - in Library Annex
- First, look at the library record again.
- If the item is a KU thesis or dissertation, proceed as follows:
- Most theses and dissertations have a circulating copy 2 that can be found on the shelf in the location listed for copy 2, usually Anschutz Library. Eligible borrowers may use the Retrieve from Shelf service to request a copy 2 of a thesis or dissertation.
- If a circulating copy 2 is not available:
- All users can search KU ScholarWorks to see if the thesis or dissertation is available there. Find the "Dissertations and Theses" community and search for the item needed.
- KU students, faculty, staff, and affiliates, and on-site visitors can look in ProQuest dissertations & theses global database to see if the item is available there.
- If a copy 2 is not available, and the item cannot be found in KU ScholarWorks or in ProQuest, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your needs. The quickest option will be to make arrangements to use the available copy on-site in Kenneth Spencer Research Library.
- If the item is a journal or book with this location, KU students, faculty, staff, and affiliates should proceed as follows:
- Check the Library Catalog to determine if the article(s) or chapter(s) you need are available electronically.
- If you know the article or chapter needed, place a request for a copy of the article or chapter using WebRetrieve. See Document Delivery for information about how to do this.
- If you need to review the physical item, send a message to email@example.com outlining your needs. The item will be made available for you to use on-site in Kenneth Spencer Research Library.
- Resident and Reciprocal borrowers may place an interlibrary loan request through their local library for articles or chapters or request to use the physical item on-site in Kenneth Spencer Research Library by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: Contact Music Library Service Desk - (Library Annex)
These are usually LP or CD collections. Please contact the staff in the Music & Dance Library to identify the items you need. Library staff will retrieve items and, based on the condition of the items, identify the best method to use them in a manner to ensure ongoing preservation and usability of the items requested.
Location: Contact Spencer Research Library Reader Services (Library Annex)
Spencer Research Library materials stored in the Library Annex must be requested using the library's Aeon system. Please contact Spencer Reader Services staff (785-864-4334 or email@example.com) for more information no less than three days in advance of a planned visit.
View Library Annex Items Onsite
For library users who have a large quantity of volumes that you would like to view onsite, contact the Library Annex staff to set up an appointment. Advance notice is required to allow time for retrieval of items to be viewed. The facility lacks photocopying, fax, and scanning equipment.
Please contact the Library Annex with an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the items you need to have retrieved by providing the Call Number(s) and volumes needed. Any items you determine the need to check out will be routed to the KU Libraries circulation desk of your choice within 24 hours, Monday - Friday, following your appointment, in order to you to check them out.
Access to Annex Materials for Library Visitors without Borrowing Privileges
With advance request to a KU Libraries circulation desk, circulating items housed in the Library Annex can be made available for in-library use only at a KU Libraries location on the Lawrence campus. Materials will normally be available at a library circulation desk within 3 days, Monday - Friday. Ask for assistance at any library circulation desk, or send an inquiry to the Circulation Business Office with an email message to email@example.com. Individuals who qualify for and purchase a KU Library Borrower Card may enter Retrieve from Shelf requests for circulating library materials in the Library Annex.
Recalling Library Materials
Long-term-loan library materials, checked out for six weeks or longer, may be recalled immediately from any borrower. A Recall Notice will immediately be sent to the borrower, and the item must be returned by the New Due Date specified in the notice in order to avoid a fine (or earlier if the library will be closed on the due date). The due date previously assigned to the item is no longer valid. If the item is already overdue at the time it is recalled, the recall due date will be the original due date.
To place a recall request, go to the Library Catalog, open the Full Record for the item wanted. If the item is checked out to another borrower, it may be recalled by following these steps:
- Click Recalls & Requests.
- KU students, faculty, staff, and affiliates, may log in with their KU Online ID and Password. All library users may long in with your barcode, your last name. Then click Login.
- Highlight Recall from the dropdown, and click OK.
- If you used the barcode login, re-enter your personal barcode number to confirm your request.
- Select a Deliver To location from the pull-down menu.
- Click Submit Request. A message will confirm the recall has been placed.
- Logout to exit your library record.
To place a Recall request from a Library Search:
- Click Locations & Availability for the item to be requested.
- Under Request options, click Sign in to request.
- KU students, faculty, staff, and affiliates may log in with their KU Online ID and Password. All library users may log in with your barcode and your last name.
- Under Request options, click Recall.
- Select a Deliver to location from the dropdown list and click Submit Request. A message will confirm if the request was successful.
The current borrower has 14 days to return a recalled item. When a recalled item is returned, it will be placed on the Hold Shelf at the designated pick-up/deliver to location, and the requestor will be sent an Item Available Notice, usually via e-mail. The item will be usually be held for 10 days from the date on the notice. See Hold Shelf (On Hold) above for additional information.
Retrieve from Shelf is a service that will pull KU Libraries materials from the shelves and place them on hold for you at the KU Libraries service desk of your choice.
TripSaver is a service for Lawrence campus KU faculty and staff to request eligible library materials via Retrieve from Shelf for delivery to them wherever Campus Mail currently delivers on the Lawrence campus.
KU students, faculty, staff, and affiliates, living in the United States outside of Douglas and Johnson counties in Kansas, may request home loan delivery for eligible circulating items via Home Loan Delivery.
Pending Requests and Items Available
Pending Requests for items from the KU Libraries collections and for Items Available for checkout from a circulation desk may be reviewed by going to My Account. You may log in to My Account from the Library Catalog or after entering a Library Search.
For information about the KU Libraries' Interlibrary Loan services, see Request Articles, Books & More.