Library User Responsibilities
The responsibilities of all library users of the University of Kansas Libraries are outlined throughout library policy pages and in documents available from the KU Policy Library. This page provides a summary of expectations for library users and where to find relevant information.
Use of copyrighted materials and licensed and other electronic resources:
- Expectations of Users of Copyrighted Materials and Licensed and Other Electronic Resources
- Acceptable Use of the Internet on Public Workstations
- Acceptable Use of Electronic Information Resources
- Off-campus Access to Licensed Electronic Resources
- Copyright Resources
- Code of Conduct for Library Users
Expectations of library borrowers:
- Bring your KU Card or KU Library Borrower Card with you when you come to the library. KU Cards, KU Library Borrower Cards, and Proxy Borrower Cards are not transferrable. If you check out items for another person or loan an item to another person, you remain responsible for the items and all parts associated with each item.
- If you need to check out items or make requests on behalf of another person, such as your instructor or faculty advisor, ask about the Proxy Borrower Card.
- Treat library materials with care and respect, returning them unmarked and undamaged.
- Pay attention to loan periods and due dates. You are responsible for what you checked out. See the My Account information page for instructions about online renewals or log in to My Account to complete renewals for eligible items.
- Renew or return checked out materials on time.
- Read and respond to library notices. Notices are sent as a courtesy. Failure to receive a notice does not remove the borrower's obligation to return materials by the date and time due, nor does it constitute grounds for reducing or canceling overdue or lost item charges.
- Return recalled material by the new due date. Recalls can happen at any time. Borrowers who will be physically away from the items checked out should be prepared to arrange for the return of library materials if they are recalled and to renew or return items when they become due. KU items are subject to recall at any time and will need to be returned within 14 days of the recall date to avoid overdue charges.
- Report lost cards immediately.
- Keep your addresses up to date.
Pay library charges including overdue fines, lost item replacement charges, and processing fees:
- Billing and Payments for Library Charges
- Pay Library Charges Online
- Replacement Charges for Lost Library Materials
Interlibrary loan policies:
- See Interlibrary Loan policies for information about items borrowed from another library at Request Articles, Books & More.
- Interlibrary loan items borrowed from another library cannot be renewed online. To determine if Interlibrary Loan items borrowed from another library can be renewed, contact Acquisitions and Resource Sharing at (785) 864-3960 (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday) or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the due date to determine if Interlibrary Loan items can be renewed or not. Note that Interlibrary Loan items with "not renewable" on the jacket at the time of checkout cannot be renewed. For additional information, see "How do I request a renewal?" (scroll down).
Time away from or leaving KU:
- Library borrowers who will be out of the area for any extended period of time, including breaks while classes are not in session and over the summer, are encouraged to return all library materials, or to leave library materials with someone who can retrieve and return the items for you. Patrons on vacation, sabbatical, or leave of absence are responsible for any library materials that may be recalled or overdue during their absence.
- At the end of each semester or when you are leaving KU indefinitely or permanently, you need to contact the Circulation Business Office with an email message to email@example.com to ask questions.
- Do you have library materials that need to be returned or renewed if eligible?
- Are there are any library charges to pay - at the library or at Student Account Services?
- Do you have a way to return recalled items while you are away?